[SOLVED] superl low fps with ok pc

Apr 19, 2020
Hi fellas,

my pc specs are as following

processor AMD FX-8350

GPU Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti 4 G-

Motherboard Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0

8gig ram win 10 pro just updated

My pc is running like a crap, even tho i have ok components for some games, for example World of tanks I meet requirements for ultra specs. I can only play at minimum graphics sd client at 30 - 40 fps, all drivers seem to be up to date and i do not think i have malware due to the fact of just freshly installing windows, with previous motherboard that has died i was doing ultra only on sd tho but with 90 fps, bios is also up to date. thanks for help and i appologize for posting this in cpus topics but i think it may be the problem

Solution
Check for things like Xbox DVR, game helper etc. If those are enabled they'll kill your fps. Windows automatically enables them. If using GeForce Experience, check the settings, you may have stuff like a 4k DSR enabled.

To find the initial issue, crank up the settings. If fps tanks hard, then the issue is gpu related. If it doesn't change much at all, then the low fps is due to the cpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check for things like Xbox DVR, game helper etc. If those are enabled they'll kill your fps. Windows automatically enables them. If using GeForce Experience, check the settings, you may have stuff like a 4k DSR enabled.

To find the initial issue, crank up the settings. If fps tanks hard, then the issue is gpu related. If it doesn't change much at all, then the low fps is due to the cpu.

Solution
Apr 19, 2020

Thanks for the quick answer,

the xbox game pannel was up and running, took 1percent at most I have managed to disable it
I dont use geforce expirience.

I tried running tanks at medium graphics got 30 - 40 fps when stationary, while moving dropped to 24+ fps.

I also runned a benchmark and the processor percentile was 0, I was also using task manager simultaneously and cpu usage never got above 1.6MHz or 34%
Also said the graphics card is performing way above expectations.

Only after that I tried CPUID HWMonitor to find out the processor is running at 1.4 MHz (All cores) max being 4.2MHz not overclocked but running at temperatures of 67-73 C` I dont use the stock cooler that comes with amd.

Can the processor be damaged and still run? Is it possible that due to the high temperature it clocks itself so low to prevent damage?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's misleading info since the FX series cpus had exactly no way of reading temps. They didn't have on core temp sensors the way Intels do. In order to read temps accurately you needed to use AMD Overdrive or CoreTemp and have it extrapolate a Thermal Margin.

As was, the TjMax for all the FX series cpus was 63°C as measured from engineering samples that were retrofitted with thermal strips. Those strips were not included in the production units.

So whatever temps any other software tells you, is wrong, you'd need to do Thermal Margins and see where temps are really at according to several different voltages, usage, socket temps etc. That'll say whether or not the cpu is overheating.

Intel temp standards do not apply to FX.

Apr 19, 2020
Thanks guys , in the end it was an easy fix, it turned out the thermal paste was old and pretty dry, just replaced that and did a couple of tweaks here and there and I am back and running.
Also I assume updating windows helped a lot.