News Supermicro 1024US-TRT Server Review: 128 Cores in a 1U Chassis

The ability to have 4 NICs, all with a PCIe 4 x16 connection, in a 1U chassis is amazing. Sadly they only included 4 NVMe storage slots. I personally have been interested in the AS-1124US-TNRP. Dual socket, 32 DIMMs, 10 NVMe storage slots, and 4x PCIe 4 x16 expansion slots. Allows for a nice hyperconvered server with up to 8 ports at 100Gb or 4 ports at 200Gb.

Many members of this forum think that hand-me-down 1U servers are a good idea for at home. They have never "lived" in a data center (as I have). Many times the CRAC (or CRAH) units are the noisiest but 1U servers have a high pitched noise that is REALLY annoying.
I know how loud those things are. Those 40mm Delta fans that spin at 15,000RPM are insanely loud.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Buying a NEW DC/Corporate server for usage at home brings too many issues:

a. You only buy one, the provider will not give you any discount. DC/Corporate hardware prices are always hyper-inflated so that during the deal negotiations the provider will give a significant discount as last nudge toward a deal. Prices are also higher because the manufacturer and provider guaranty support and availability for 10 years, as an example.

b. For the noise, unless you want to transform your living room as an airport (sound-wise), the best solution is a sound-proof basement or attic. Great for making the lives of rats a pita.

c. After you spend your hard won kopeks on a new shiny 100 GbE capable server, be aware that the rest of your computers will have to be PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0 with a PCIe x16 slot dedicated to the NIC plus something like a local NVMe RAID 0 or 10. Anything under this will result in very disappointing results during file transfers. You end up with the local buses being slower than the network (!) A PC with PCIe 2.x will choke at around 20 GbE.

d. You'll want to run the thing with a beefy UPS.

e. You'll want to run the thing 24 x 7. The power bill at the end of the month will reflect that...

CONCLUSION: Don't do it. A more "valid" path is to buy used DC/Corporate hardware on eBay or alike. But you have to know what you're doing and do your home work, pun intended.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
A more "valid" path is to buy used DC/Corporate hardware on eBay or alike.
Every 1U server I have ever dealt with is horrible for noise. Don't buy 1U servers, IMO. For a non-commercial space, workstation hosts are much more appropriate. Same basic motherboard as a 1 or 2U server but in a much friendlier packaging.

Reactions: domih

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Every 1U server I have ever dealt with is horrible for noise. Don't buy 1U servers, IMO. For a non-commercial space, workstation hosts are much more appropriate. Same basic motherboard as a 1 or 2U server but in a much friendlier packaging.

I agree but with customization you can make them become silent. I have a few Mellanox 1U switches (QDR, FDR10, FDR): I just remove the top panel and replace all the fans with silent ones and obviously placed differently (*). The fan LED is expectedly always red but the unit is functional and I don't care. The 1U is no longer a 1U but as a result I can use the switches inside the home, they are silent. I guess that would be the same thing with servers. But you have to do your home work, find the OEM docs of the fans for the schematics and then do some soldering. Without the top panel, the slower silent fan do the job.

(*) The overall cost of the switches + silent fans (Noctua) is still significantly less than the new shiny equivalent "prosumer" 10 GbE, e.g. 36-port 56Gbps (FDR) for $200 plus $200 of fans = $400. Same thing for the PCIe NICs inside the PCs, e.g. $65 + $20 fan to "replace" the original air flow from the 1U. As a result I get from 30 to 45 GbE depending on the PC. Much nicer than loser 10GbE.

Otherwise, I concur that at home, the vertical workstation form is much easier. No esoteric customization required.