Question Motherboard won't POST ?

jiv808

Honorable
Sep 5, 2018
Hi
I'm trying to get a Supermicro C7Q67 motherboard to POST.

I've tried all manner of different RAM sticks - no go. And when I remove all the RAM and power up, the board beeps back at me with 5 short beeps and then 1 long beep, which indicates RAM errors, or in this case, no RAM.

I've also just tried their BIOS recovery procedure by renaming and then copying the latest ROM image (607) to a FAT-32 formatted USB stick. You then have to hold down Ctrl and Home keys on your keyboard and wait for 2 beeps. Nothing happened in my case, so I guess I'm either doing something wrong or the motherboard isn't recognizing the USB stick.

Can anyone shed some light on why my board won't POST? The CPU is an i7-2600 and is working (tested on another board).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I take that you bought the MoBo from somewhere and in used condition, right?

Can anyone shed some light on why my board won't POST?
Simple answer is dead MoBo.

As of what exactly, take your pick: corrupt BIOS, capacitors aren't working anymore (chipset is 13 years old), VRMs are bad. You name it.

The older the hardware - the more of a chance it won't work. MoBo is most complex hardware in a PC and unless it has been running 24/7 for decades, stored (unpowered) MoBos won't last that long. Caps go bad on those in due time.

jiv808

Honorable
Sep 5, 2018
I take that you bought the MoBo from somewhere and in used condition, right?

Simple answer is dead MoBo.

As of what exactly, take your pick: corrupt BIOS, capacitors aren't working anymore (chipset is 13 years old), VRMs are bad. You name it.

The older the hardware - the more of a chance it won't work. MoBo is most complex hardware in a PC and unless it has been running 24/7 for decades, stored (unpowered) MoBos won't last that long. Caps go bad on those in due time.
Thank you. Yes, the board was bought 2nd hand. Off to the recycle bin it goes....