Supermicro C7X99-OCE ATX Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Tons of consumer electronics in North America only have a one-year manufacturer warranty regardless of price range.

Personally, I think three years should be the minimum legal warranty: reduce the amount of e-waste generated by device manufacturers engineering their products to barely outlive the warranty. Making retailers accountable for part of the warranty repair costs would also give them incentive to avoid stocking dodgy products.

(Except on batteries which people can ruin within months by abusing the heck out of them, one more reason to make batteries user-replaceable again.)

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
It seems like a good motherboard for most users' needs. Supermicro followed the old saying, Keep It Simple, Stupid!
I kind of like the complete absence of USB 2.0. Who really needs USB 2.0, when USB 3.0 is backward-compatible? The only slight problem I can think of is the front USB 2.0 ports on your case will be useless, but there are other case options out there.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Does Win8 / Win10 have native usb 3.0 support? I imagine they do. I know I have a hard time installing windows 7 when my USB key / keyboard / mouse are plugged into a usb 3.0 port.

I like seeing that USB 3 is becoming prevalent but it worries me a bit for 100% backwards comparability. I guess installing a driver during install is not too trivial but it is annoying.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Blame the motherboard manufacturer, probably, as most of those old systems relied on third-party controllers not supported by native drivers. Remember that USB 3.0 is a 2-in-1 interface, the USB 2.0 connection is still there (chipset-based ports should be supported in USB 2.0 mode prior to updating the drivers).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have one of their older Socket 2011 workstation boards.

I've been happy with it, so far (no overclocking or multi-GPU, though). My only complaint is a significant hissing on the line-out port, forcing me to use a separate sound card. But when I viewed the Newegg reviews a year later, it sounded like they had some serious quality problems starting shortly after I bought mine.

So, maybe they've already lost that "legendary reliability"? It wasn't a cheap board, either.

I just bought an ASRock mini-ITX server board, though it was the only option with all the features I wanted. We'll see how that works out...

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
why do motherboard maker still provide ps2 connector on the motherboard?
Is there people still use ps 2 keyboard today?
Is there people who can afford to buy 300 dollars motherboard and still use 1998 keyboard and mouse?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2 markets. Some people love their old mouse, others love their old mechanical keyboards. That's 2 markets, 1 port, roll the dice and hope the crossover doesn't hurt your marketing :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
why do motherboard maker still provide ps2 connector on the motherboard?
Is there people still use ps 2 keyboard today?
Is there people who can afford to buy 300 dollars motherboard and still use 1998 keyboard and mouse?
heard of BadUSB? Some people are disabling USB HID on their PCs. Granted, that's pretty uncommon.

I still use a PS/2 keyboard I paid $300 for, years ago. I do have a USB adapter for it, but I think it increases the number of missed key presses/releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.