[SOLVED] Supermicro c7z97-m SW Power pins burned. Easy way to extend onboard power button?

Apr 18, 2021
I think somehow pins on mobo burned, power button doesnt work neither is jumper start.
Only option to turn on PC is to press onborad Power button (photo).
Normally it would not be a problem, but it is my girlfriends PC and she does not want to put in her hand in case to turn it on and I have to do it everytime for her...
So my question is, can I somehow easyway extend the onboard power button without any tools ?
Or maybe connect sw power cable onto it from behind so pc will power on normally ?
Thank you in advance for help.

175889290-474447133797026-8396318364338657871-n.jpg

Solution
If anyone is interested or for future people with same problem i found easy solution.

First I located on-board power button page 2-33 in manual or you can see it on the picture I attached in my first post.
On the other side of motherboard (bottom side) I located sticking out small pins (or legs) from on-board power button.
Then with a screw driver I found 2 pins that jumper start pc (like on-board power button does).
Then I cut off SW Power pin connector and i directly connected 2 cables that left to the on-board power button pins(legs) on the bottom side of mother board.

Its kinda lazy solution but its working. I can normally turn on and off PC with front panel power on button.

kanewolf

Titan
I think somehow pins on mobo burned, power button doesnt work neither is jumper start.
Only option to turn on PC is to press onborad Power button (photo).
Normally it would not be a problem, but it is my girlfriends PC and she does not want to put in her hand in case to turn it on and I have to do it everytime for her...
So my question is, can I somehow easyway extend the onboard power button without any tools ?
Or maybe connect sw power cable onto it from behind so pc will power on normally ?
Thank you in advance for help.

175889290-474447133797026-8396318364338657871-n.jpg
If the paperclip test fails, then attaching a switch won't work. SOMETHING caused this to happen, you need to look all over the board for other damage. But that motherboard may be dead.

Apr 18, 2021
If the paperclip test fails, then attaching a switch won't work. SOMETHING caused this to happen, you need to look all over the board for other damage. But that motherboard may be dead.
Hello, motherboard is working fine. But only option to turn it on is to use power button onboard (on photo).
I wanted to know if there is an option(or how) to extend this button so i do not need to put my hand inside the case everytime I want to turn my PC on.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the User Manual applicable to the motherboard in your girlfriend's computer?

https://www.supermicro.com/wdl/ISO_Extracted/CDR-C7_V1.31_for_Intel_C7_platform/MANUALS/C7Z97-M.pdf

As I understand your post the front panel power switch and reset switch are not working - is that correct?

And the button your are pressing is Button B as shown on physically numbered Page 2-33.

Take a look at the front panel connections via Pages 2-18 and 2-19.

Any signs of damage or disconnections?

Note - 1st paragraph Page 2-18: "These connectors are designed specifically for use with Supermicro chassis ....

In other words - likely proprietary so care must be taken with regards to potential fixes.

Are the JF1 related LEDs working?

Apr 18, 2021
Does the following link provide the User Manual applicable to the motherboard in your girlfriend's computer?

https://www.supermicro.com/wdl/ISO_Extracted/CDR-C7_V1.31_for_Intel_C7_platform/MANUALS/C7Z97-M.pdf

As I understand your post the front panel power switch and reset switch are not working - is that correct?

And the button your are pressing is Button B as shown on physically numbered Page 2-33.

Take a look at the front panel connections via Pages 2-18 and 2-19.

Any signs of damage or disconnections?

Note - 1st paragraph Page 2-18: "These connectors are designed specifically for use with Supermicro chassis ....

In other words - likely proprietary so care must be taken with regards to potential fixes.

Are the JF1 related LEDs working?

Hello,

Yes the button I am pressing to turn on PC is Button B you mentioned.
There are no signs of damage on pins.
I don't have Supermicro chassis. I recently switched to to this metherboard (old one died and I switched to this one because I was able to buy it cheap and asap).
Power button was working at start, but next day it just wouldn't.
When i jumper press sw pind with a screw driver pc does not start, I also tried to switch SW reset and SW Power connectors to see if it's a button problem (didn't work).
I am in work right now so i am not sure about jf1 led's (I don't remeber)
I was also thinking about setting this mobo to power on keyboard button press but I couldnt find anything about it in manual (or if it is possible) :/
My other Idea was to remove Power Button B and connect it with SW power cables to Standard Power button, but I am not experienced and I would like to avoid invasive methods like this one.

I am open for any ideas how to turn this PC on with out putting hand inside the case ( I dont want to do it everytime my Gf wants to use PC)

Ralston18

Titan
What chassis are you now using?

To get any insight at all as to a solution you need to map out all of the front panel connections pin by pin.

And that may end up including other connectors inside the computer.

You certainly do not want to cause short of some sort so be very careful.

Apr 18, 2021
If anyone is interested or for future people with same problem i found easy solution.

First I located on-board power button page 2-33 in manual or you can see it on the picture I attached in my first post.
On the other side of motherboard (bottom side) I located sticking out small pins (or legs) from on-board power button.
Then with a screw driver I found 2 pins that jumper start pc (like on-board power button does).
Then I cut off SW Power pin connector and i directly connected 2 cables that left to the on-board power button pins(legs) on the bottom side of mother board.

Its kinda lazy solution but its working. I can normally turn on and off PC with front panel power on button.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as you, and have found your solution. Is it possible to please let me know where the small pins are, maybe a photo or jumper name please?

I've had a look around but they all look the same, and am sure I'd break something!

Many thanks,

James. :)