[SOLVED] Supermicro E-ATX Case? (13.68x13)

HardwareExtreme

Honorable
Jan 5, 2016
So I'm trying to find a case that will fit a Supermicro SSI-EEB motherboard (X9DR3-LN4F) but not many cases seem to be able to fit it. It's the same as a normal E-ATX except it's 1.5 inches taller.

Now I know that the Supermicro CSE-745 would fit and it would be perfect, but they go for crazy prices even used for bare chassis.

Are there any cases that it would fit in, or are there any other Supermicro tower cases that it would fit in?

Solution
or are there any other Supermicro tower cases that it would fit in?

From their website, there are three tower cases that fit, but I'm afraid that none of those cases is affordable because with this motherboard you are in a different domain, there are things that don't exist on consumer market.

Chassis (Optimized for X9DR3-LN4F+ )
2U Chassis
3U Chassis
Tower / 4U Rackmount
Important...
or are there any other Supermicro tower cases that it would fit in?

From their website, there are three tower cases that fit, but I'm afraid that none of those cases is affordable because with this motherboard you are in a different domain, there are things that don't exist on consumer market.

Chassis (Optimized for X9DR3-LN4F+ )
2U Chassis
3U Chassis
Tower / 4U Rackmount
Important Chassis Notes
  • To support the new generation Intel® Xeon® processor-based motherboards, Revision M chassis is recommended. Please talk to your sales representative for details.
  • Please use optional I/O shield MCP-260-00041-0N in Supermicro 1U chassis

Solution

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I use the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 to hold my Supermicro E-ATX board. The manufacturer's product page and the Newegg page both say it supports SSI-EEB.

And indeed, my E-ATX board doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the motherboard tray. The case has one more PCIe slot than my motherboard has. Here is a photo:

I haven't taken a ruler to measure and verify that it's large enough, but visually, you can see that PCIe chassis slot that extends past the motherboard.

It's also a nice, big case with tons of space for big fans.

The one problem is that my E-ATX motherboard covers up the cable routing grommets, so I had to remove one of the 2.5" SSD panels to create a space to route cables. But I haven't yet found a case that has cable routing grommets designed for E-ATX. So it is what it is.

But overall, I think this case should work well for you.

By the way: at the bottom of the case, where I installed two fans, that space can also be used to install a second power supply OR an ITX motherboard OR a radiator/fans. If you install an ITX motherboard there, you'll need a power supply with two ATX power connectors. But luckily, Phanteks makes one - the Revolt X line, manufactured by Seasonic.

Last edited: