[SOLVED] Supermicro Homelab server PSU recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shkval

Prominent
Jan 7, 2020
Hello,

I've bough a SuperMicro dual CPU MoBo (X10 DRL-C) and two E5-2695 V3 and 2 x 64gb LRDIMM, the idea is build it under ATX case due Quiet & Space aspects.
At this point I'm struggling with the PSU due the Power draw plus the EPS cable and PSU support.

The idea is use as home lab for VMs and storage but not planning to add more than 4 HDD and no more than 2 SSD - so in terms of peripherals won't be hungrier
Is there any recommendation about the PSU and for the EPS cable that could work without cause problem?

thanks in advance!

Solution
Start with the following link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

I acknowledge that you are not building a gaming PC.

However, the objective is to determine the power demands of the build you are proposing.

Use the link's calculators either directly or as a model/template to list and total up the power demands of the components to be used.

Easily done in a spreadsheet.

If a component has a range of wattage values then use the high end value.

Once the wattages are totaled add 25% more.

Look for a quality PSU with good reviews.

Go online to find and read the PSU's installation guide/manual. Pay attention to any fine print and footnotes.

Read the manufacturer's website FAQ's and...

Ralston18

Titan
Start with the following link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

I acknowledge that you are not building a gaming PC.

However, the objective is to determine the power demands of the build you are proposing.

Use the link's calculators either directly or as a model/template to list and total up the power demands of the components to be used.

Easily done in a spreadsheet.

If a component has a range of wattage values then use the high end value.

Once the wattages are totaled add 25% more.

Look for a quality PSU with good reviews.

Go online to find and read the PSU's installation guide/manual. Pay attention to any fine print and footnotes.

Read the manufacturer's website FAQ's and Forums. Look for what is said as well as what is not said.

No guarantee that there will not be some problem(s).

So you must also look at the return policies (RMA) of any vendor you are considering.

Solution

shkval

Prominent
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks for your reply! I agree with your post.
but I'm looking someone who build some homelab and if there could be some issue with EPS cable or which PSU they've used for example

Status
Not open for further replies.