[SOLVED] Supermicro PSU

Aug 5, 2020
Can anyone tell me the unforseen that comes from using server grade PSU with desktop motherboards?

One is question is the Supermicro PWS-563-1H20 560W/600W 1U Multi-Output 80+ Gold Power Supply

https://store.supermicro.com/600w-1u-pws-563-1h20.html

Reason for using it is the slim form factor and the 2005 PowerMac case I'm using for this mod.
Setup is

Q170 mobo
I5 6600 (65 w)
Asus 1060 6gb
Nzxt senmesh fan controller
Corsair commander pro x4 RGB strips

Solution
Server psus tend to be built heavier duty than mainstream psus, since they tend to be used under somewhat more abusive thermal conditions at high loads for continuous use 24/7.

It's got OV, OC, SC protections, basic ATX standards, but that's it, and you'd expect higher holdup times for UPS usage on a server psu. But as to the rest as compared to a mainstream atx, there's no telling unless you find someone who has torn one apart and reviewed it right.

Unless those adapters were not exactly perfect for the job, I can't really see the psu being the culprit, but I can see it being the culprit if you suffered from a surge/spike that it didn't effectively protect against, since those psus are almost always covered by serious UPS systems to...

kanewolf

Titan
Can anyone tell me the unforseen that comes from using server grade PSU with desktop motherboards?

One is question is the Supermicro PWS-563-1H20 560W/600W 1U Multi-Output 80+ Gold Power Supply

https://store.supermicro.com/600w-1u-pws-563-1h20.html

Reason for using it is the slim form factor and the 2005 PowerMac case I'm using for this mod.
Setup is

Q170 mobo
I5 6600 (65 w)
Asus 1060 6gb
Nzxt senmesh fan controller
Corsair commander pro x4 RGB strips
I don't see a 24 pin motherboard connector on that power supply. Won't work well on a standard motherboard.

Aug 5, 2020
I don't see a 24 pin motherboard connector on that power supply. Won't work well on a standard motherboard.

Very true, and not a problem with this particular setup as the Mobo is an 8 pin (dell proprietary), and an adapter from a dependable source is being used. So as long as the voltages are good and the correct gauge of wire is used, it should be like any other mainstream PSU, right?

Aug 5, 2020
So you're putting this in a 1U chassis or a Dell chassis?
No, a PowerMac G5 chasis as part of a ATX conversion as seen here,

This PSU fits perfectly into the place of the old Mac power supply, without having to make further cuts to the chassis that's naturally involved in fitting ATX PSU into no ATX cases

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Server psus tend to be built heavier duty than mainstream psus, since they tend to be used under somewhat more abusive thermal conditions at high loads for continuous use 24/7.

It's got OV, OC, SC protections, basic ATX standards, but that's it, and you'd expect higher holdup times for UPS usage on a server psu. But as to the rest as compared to a mainstream atx, there's no telling unless you find someone who has torn one apart and reviewed it right.

Unless those adapters were not exactly perfect for the job, I can't really see the psu being the culprit, but I can see it being the culprit if you suffered from a surge/spike that it didn't effectively protect against, since those psus are almost always covered by serious UPS systems to begin with.

It might not have caused the damage to the mobo, but there's no saying it didn't allow the damage to happen.

Solution