Supermicro Supermicro X8DTL-I power supply recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

necanthropeone

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Can anyone recommend a power supply for a Supermicro X8DTL-I motherboard? I've tried several different brands, notably a Thermaltake SMART 600W and a Enermax Platimax 600W.

A bit of background: The board won't post or beep, and the power LED on the board never lights, with any of these power supplies. The fans on the PSUs don't start, either.

The vendor replaced the board once with an identical model, and the same issue is happening, so I doubt it's a faulty mobo. (but I'm not totally ruling it out, either.)

According to Supermicro tech support, the only PSUs they test with are their own. I'm willing to buy one to try it, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem, or a similar one.

Thanks!

Solution

That is correct!! You need something like this -- www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338119
Notice that in the specs it specifically calls out two EPS12v connectors.

Neither of your power supplies have more than one 8-Pin CPU connector.

Supermicro manual says to be sure to connect the two 8-pin (JPW2, JPW3) power connectors on the motherboard. Failure in doing so will void the manufacturer warranty on your motherboard.

necanthropeone

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
As far as I can tell, yes

The Thermaltake PSU has this information: " Compliance with Intel ATX 12V 2.31 & EPS 12V 2.92 standards"
The Enermax states: "SERVER ready: SSI PSDG support for latest Intel Core Extreme/i7, Xeon and AMD Opteron and SLI or CrossFireX and downward compatible with EPS12V v2.92, v2.8."

Both have 2 8-pin connectors and 1 24 pin connector. I have no idea what the pin configurations on them are.

necanthropeone

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015

They both have two 8-pin connectors. Is there a way to tell the difference between a CPU connector and a non-CPU connector?

necanthropeone

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Hm, now I'm reading that the 6+2 crossfire pinnages aren't the same as EPS 12V, which is what I think Calvin7 and kanewolf are trying to pound thorugh my thick skull. :) Looking PSUs with 2x EPS12v 8 pins instead of a crossfire 6+2 connector.

kanewolf

Titan

That is correct!! You need something like this -- www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338119
Notice that in the specs it specifically calls out two EPS12v connectors.

Solution

necanthropeone

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015

Excellent. :D

This is the one I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256058&cm_re=ST85F-P-_-17-256-058-_-Product

It specifically states in the specs:
2 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V

Status
Not open for further replies.