SuperMicro X9DAI Motherboard with SuperMicro Case SYS-7037A-i Overlight Light Blinking

Oct 29, 2018
Wondering if anyone can help troubleshoot this.

I got a SuperMicro X9DAI motherboard installed on a SuperMicro chassis SYS 7037A-I. The overheating light on the front keep blinking. The problem is this light blinks the minute I turn on the server. Here are the symptoms:

All the fans spin right away
    There is no beep or any sound from the onboard speaker
    I cleared CMOS already - made no difference
    I removed all the cards and disconnected all the hard drives
    There is only one CPU (CPU 1) installed and 1 DIMM STICK on A1 - made no difference
    I swapped out the CPU and the DIMM - made no difference
    The overheat light on the front of the chassis flashes right away the sec I turn on the server - and the server I assume goes into overheating protection mode
    There is nothing on the screen from the VGA card

Pretty much tried everything. Need some advice what else to try before declaring possible problems with the motherboard.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks for replying. Yes. CPU1 fan is plugged into FAN 6 and it is spinning. CPU2 fan is plugged into FAN 7 and spinning. Both CPU cooler fans appear to be spinning fine. This is the same as the other big chassis fan next to the SATA ports.

Oct 29, 2018
It turned out I had a E5-2600 V2 processor, and the firmware was outdated. Based on my previous experience with SuperMicro motherboards, I took a chance and changed the CPU to an E5-2600 V1 processor. It booted with E5-2600 V1 processor just fine. I updated the firmware, changed the CPU to E5-2600 V2 processor, and it booted up fine this time also.

The flashing red light on the front is misleading for this problem. It got nothing to do with overheating. It is simply due to an old outdated firmware that can't support E5-2600 V5 processors.

Just glad it is fixed.