Supermicro X9SRL-F won't post. Doesn't get past Initializing… B2

Feb 15, 2018
New to the forum, and I will try to be as descriptive as possible (and sorry if a little wordy or if I forget somethings I've tried). My old Supermicro X8SAX went down, so decided to upgrade a bit. Bought a "new" X9SRL-F and a used E5-1650 v2 for it. When turning it on, it comes up with the Supermicro logo and initializing... and when it gets to B2 it just shuts down and tries to start again. When it re-tries, it comes on for a second, shuts down and then restarts and gets to the initializing screen again (then starts the loop again). There are no beeps or anything when it tries to start, just the fans running. Considering what I bought, I could be either the board or the chip but I have no idea how to tell if or what is bad or if there is something else. Done a ton of research, but nothing I have tried has helped. One thing I did do wrong was to leave a standoff under the board when I first installed the board (it was under the ram slots where there was a hole on the old board). Right now I have the board out of the case and testing things that way.

Here is what I have and or tried;
- Chassis is a SC733T with a Supermicro SATA 733 controller
- New Corsair CX550M PSU (I think the old PSU started all my issues). I have tried 2 other working power supplies and the same thing still happens. Also tested it with a thing I bought from Amazon and everything looks good.
- Pulled all the memory and I get 5 short beeps and 1 long (which from what I found means no memory installed).
- Tried multiple iterations of memory installed (have 6 x 4G) with both my existing memory and one from a known working server (mine is Crutial DDR3 1333 non-ECC, and the other was a Kingsston DDR3 1600 ECC). Tried one, two, all, etc.
- Pulled all the connections one by one. The only one I left was the power button.
- Reset the CMOS (puled the battery and used the jumpers)
- I'm using the on-board video, and installing a card gives me nothing on the display
- re-seated the CPU and the same thing
- There is also a CPU cooler fan and chassis fan. Plugged in or not, same thing.

I think that is it (but it's been a couple of days, so I could have forgotten something). If anyone has any questions or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Paul.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
You did a pretty good testing, so most problems are in fact ruled out.
An unusual, but still existing cause can be a stuck ATX-switch (the only thing you did not test for).
Do not connect the existing ATX-switch, but either short the power-pins of your MoBo (VERY! CAREFULLY!) with a pin, or get another ATX-switch, or, although this is a bit too much work in my opinion, use another case.
I have such lying around for debugging-needs:
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Lead-TOOGOO-Green-Supply/dp/B01GO4K8A2/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1518713908&sr=8-26&keywords=ATX-switch

Feb 15, 2018
I was thinking the BIOS as well, but was unable to reload it. But I did speak with Supermicro, and he is thinking that it is incompatible memory. From what he said, since I get the beeps for no memory, it past the CPU test. He then had me disable the on board video. It should have beeped when it got to that since there was no video, he thinks that it died at the memory check. He also confirmed that I was on Bios 3.2, so that was not it. Ordered a couple of new sticks and will post back when I get them. Hopefully that will work. If not, he said it is still under warranty.