[SOLVED] SuperNOVA 850 G3 - reliability question, and enough for RTX 2080 SLISLI

I recently got a 4k monitor and upgraded my GPU to a GTX 2080 (arriving tomorrow). I am considering upgrading this further in the future to a 2x RTX 2080 SLI machine, and it seems 800-850W is the safe range to be in for a PSU.

I was considering the EVGA SuperNOVA G3, as it is well priced and based on the Super Flower Leadex - but then I saw several articles warning against it because they fudged some of the over power protection and over temperature protection settings in order to give better reliability numbers.

Then, of course, an equal number of articles and forum posts saying not to worry about those, because they will almost never come up in practice.

Do any of the experts here have a straight answer? Should I be worried about this PSU, or is it all a bunch of BS?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g3-220-g3-0850-x1-850w/p/N82E16817438092

Solution
Basically, I got a deal on a 2080 (less than $500), and in the future it seems adding another one would be the cheaper route. Not 100% committed to that, as the 2080 ought to be sufficient for now.

I also need a new PSU soon regardless, as both of the ones in my current machines (XFX 550w and Seasonic 620w) were bought in 2014. So even though they theoretically might have enough power, this seems like a good time to replace the one in my main machine, anyway.
How does adding a second GPU increase performance if games are not programmed anymore to use more than 1 GPU?
I would sell one 2080 or sell both and buy a 2080 Ti as 4K60 needs a 2080 Ti for all games to be 60+fps.
I recently got a 4k monitor and upgraded my GPU to a GTX 2080 (arriving tomorrow). I am considering upgrading this further in the future to a 2x RTX 2080 SLI machine, and it seems 800-850W is the safe range to be in for a PSU.

I was considering the EVGA SuperNOVA G3, as it is well priced and based on the Super Flower Leadex - but then I saw several articles warning against it because they fudged some of the over power protection and over temperature protection settings in order to give better reliability numbers.

Then, of course, an equal number of articles and forum posts saying not to worry about those, because they will almost never come up in practice.

Do any of the experts here have a straight answer? Should I be worried about this PSU, or is it all a bunch of BS?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g3-220-g3-0850-x1-850w/p/N82E16817438092
Why 2x2080? The is 0 benefit as nowdays games and apps only use 1 GPU. Instead just upgrade to a 2080 Ti.

Your PSU is fine.

Reactions: johnsoner13
Why 2x2080? The is 0 benefit as nowdays games and apps only use 1 GPU. Instead just upgrade to a 2080 Ti.

Your PSU is fine.

Basically, I got a deal on a 2080 (less than $500), and in the future it seems adding another one would be the cheaper route. Not 100% committed to that, as the 2080 ought to be sufficient for now.

I also need a new PSU soon regardless, as both of the ones in my current machines (XFX 550w and Seasonic 620w) were bought in 2014. So even though they theoretically might have enough power, this seems like a good time to replace the one in my main machine, anyway.

How does adding a second GPU increase performance if games are not programmed anymore to use more than 1 GPU?
I would sell one 2080 or sell both and buy a 2080 Ti as 4K60 needs a 2080 Ti for all games to be 60+fps.

Solution
Well, I guess that means there'd be little use for that many watts, then.

Honestly, I just have not kept up with high-end GPUs for the last couple of years, as my old single card was fine for running anything at 1920x1080 - but then got this new 4k display for Christmas, which forced the issue. So all of this helps.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I’ve had two supernovas I bought for dirt cheap on eBay I have a 1200w p2 and a 1300w g2 both were 30$ and I’ve had zero issues and they hardly heat up at all one system wasn’t very stressed but the other system had two 130w 6 core xeons a gtx 1070 and a r9 nano and some other cards in the system never had any issues

I’ve had two supernovas I bought for dirt cheap on eBay I have a 1200w p2 and a 1300w g2 both were 30$ and I’ve had zero issues and they hardly heat up at all one system wasn’t very stressed but the other system had two 130w 6 core xeons a gtx 1070 and a r9 nano and some other cards in the system never had any issues

I've always thought of Supernova as a top-quality PSU, and Super Flower as a top OEM, it was just this one specific model that it seemed people were worried about. But I guess not a huge problem.

A bigger question I now have is, if Crossfire and SLI are really dead now (which seems to be the truth) - what is the need for an 850-1000W PSU anymore? I guess maybe for extreme setups like multi-CPU or hardcore overclocking ... but for general gaming, sounds like you might as well just get 750W and call it a day, and that's going to cover any single-GPU setup there is.

I've always thought of Supernova as a top-quality PSU, and Super Flower as a top OEM, it was just this one specific model that it seemed people were worried about. But I guess not a huge problem.

A bigger question I now have is, if Crossfire and SLI are really dead now (which seems to be the truth) - what is the need for an 850-1000W PSU anymore? I guess maybe for extreme setups like multi-CPU or hardcore overclocking ... but for general gaming, sounds like you might as well just get 750W and call it a day, and that's going to cover any single-GPU setup there is.
850-1000W are mostly used by cryptocurrency miners. I still have my Seasonic 1200W from my old mining setup.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019

Your right now it’s not needed except for multi cpu set ups like I had although I can see a use in the future it’s looking like we might start seeing multi gpu cards that are gonna require insane amounts of wattage