SuperPI for IA-64??

mavroxur

Distinguished
I know this is a crazy question, but i've been searching for it forever. Anyone know of a SuperPI-like program that is coded for IA-64? Got my hands on a weird dual Itanium 733 machine and just for kicks I wanted to get a ia-64 optimized superpi for it and see what it does. It's running Win2k3 enterprize but can change it if someone has a linux version or whatever. I'm curious if one even exists :)

r_manic

Administrator
Errr I'm not sure if this is optimized for the Itanium, but PiFast was built for Windows 2003; my noob mind is assuming that it'll work for your purposes.

In any case, why do you want to compute Pi? To stress-test your system?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Unfortunately Prime95 is coded for x86-64, i'm looking for a native IA-64 coded version. Something can run under Win 2k3 IA-64. I'm just wanting to
Pi it for the hell of it, not really trying to prove anything, just curious how fast it can do 1m places of Pi versus other systems of that era. I like to run it on different things for kicks. Just a FYI, SuperPI 1m on a 386dx/40 with 4mb ram takes 79 hours, 39 minutes :)

mavroxur

Distinguished
Well, something that works in IA-64, not the 64-bit everyone everyone assumes i'm talking about (IA-64 is *not* x86 compatible). Running a x86 64-bit version of prime95 wont do it, because the processor isnt x86-64bit, it's IA-64 64-bit, so it emulates it in software (really slow). The first gen Itaniums didnt have hardware x86 support. I'm starting to think nothing is out there to do what i'm trying to do, because I am just finding x86 versions everywhere for every o/s known to man. I could technically run the ones that were posted but the result would be horribly skewed because of all the software emulation that it would have to do to run it. That's what sank the original itanium was it's lack of hardware x86 and the need for highly compiler-optimized code :(