[SOLVED] Superposition Benchmark freezes PC - Is it the PSU or a bum GPU?

gerritS

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2015
Salutations!

I recently upgraded my GPU in my 5 year old System from a GTX 760 to a new GTX 1660 Ti.
As I usually do with a new GPU I ran a few benchmarks on it.

Unigine Heaven provided me with a, in my opinion, weirdly low score for a new 1660 Ti so I tried the Superposition Benchmark.

The first time I ran it on 1080p Extreme it ran without jitters on a steady 25 FPS, however something bugged and it kept looping without displaying the results.
As soon as I pressed a button, my PC Crashed to a BSOD with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error.

The second and third time I tried running it it froze my pc, while the audio kept playing.

All Superposition tests gave me 98% GPU Usage.

My first thought was that maybe I got a faulty GPU, but I read around online and in many cases people stated it could be an old PSU aswell.
Now I have a 5 and a half year old Corsair CX500M in my PC.

What do you think is more probable? If it was a faulty GPU, wouldn't other GPU heavy tasks also suffer? I can for instance play BF1 on Ultra with no stutters at all, but I have heard that the CXM series is supposed to be pretty crappy... (tho I have never run into issues up until now...)

Here's some more System Info for the big picture:

CPU
: Intel Core i7-4790K at Standard Clock, slightly undervolted
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) of G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 RAM
PSU: Corsair CX500M
MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-CF

One thing that might point to the PSU as the culprit is that I am running quite a few peripherals (besides the obvious Keyboard and Mouse, also an Audio Interface, Webcam, 2 MIDI Keyboards), so maybe the power consumption is a bit higher than calculated?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Solution
Cleaned old Nvidia drivers with DDU already?

Does it help to do a clear cmos? Do this with the pc of the power, so cable out of the wallsocket.

Can't hurt to upgrade that psu since only having a 3 year warranty, also newer gpu's have afaik the possibility that they can ask for power in spikes which this psu because of the way it's build might not like.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Cleaned old Nvidia drivers with DDU already?

Does it help to do a clear cmos? Do this with the pc of the power, so cable out of the wallsocket.

Can't hurt to upgrade that psu since only having a 3 year warranty, also newer gpu's have afaik the possibility that they can ask for power in spikes which this psu because of the way it's build might not like.

Solution