SuperSpeed USB to Provide 10 Gb/s and 100 W

Status
Not open for further replies.

A10K

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
100W of power through a single cable
100W/5V = 20A of current through a single connector.
???
Does this sound fishy to anyone else? Maybe an extra 0 in there somewhere?

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

That does sound very high.

12 gauge wire all the way :)

Maybe the will just go for a higher voltage(12) and call off backwards compatibility but still 8.3 amps is a good bit too.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I guess they saw enough threat from Thunderbolt to step up their game a bit. But still, I don't think it's needed right now - nice to have to look forward to. It makes more sense than Thunderbolt does right now since USB already exists as a standard, so this would likely see success that Thunderbolt doesn't because of being a new connection standard. At that bandwidth and power delivery, you could possibly run a monitor off that single cable (provided they include it as a connection on a GPU and you've got a PSU big enough).

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Increased power budget is nice and all, but 100w? And good luck with the marketing nightmare that's going to ensue with cables that can't support that, let alone devices standard laptops almost everyone buys is lucky if the -brick- is even rated to supply that much power. They should have migrated to a 12v supply or at least provision it when they first rolled out usb 3.0 little late now.

saymi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
As far as I know even 1 A can be very dangerous for a human. You must also consider wire thickness to supply that about of current. It may have use is specific situations. Everything does not have to consumer oriented.

Not at the low voltages used in computers.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
First, super speed is a dumb name.... Second, if they already know they have the headroom for 20Gbps... why not work on that instead of going to 10Gbps first... then just call it USB 4.0 and be done.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
tha salot of amps for a single cable >_< either the cables are going to be expensive or tey are going to be super thick... probably both.. also somebody can correc tme if i am wrong but i though lithium ion batteries were limited on how much power you can charge em without doing damage.so either batteries need to evolve or the extra power will only be useful for things like extrnal praphics card (which is pretty cool but nto thinking there is a large market for it let laone one to make it a standard feature)

Powering usb controlled Christmas lights? :p

On a serious note, I can only think of 2 things (for now) of the benefits of having that much power running though a usb cable.

1. Cable Management. Having power and data running over 1 cable instead of 2 for your accessories such as printers,(Probably more useful for commercial/educational places than a consumer home).

2. Supporting very large daisy chains of usb devices without using a powered hub.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

lol a 5 port powered usb 3.0 hub at 20a(5v) would have to be 500watt rms; the hub would look like a lab psup - there is no way that is accurate, unless it refers to a theoretical throughput.

Edit: http://www.usb.org/press/USB_Power_Delivery_Spec_Completion_FINAL_072712.pdf
the 100 watts is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.