Support 3 Monitors

acain1212

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Good day everyone...
I'm in need of some advice. This is a hospital setup, where the physician is running 3 monitors. 2 of the monitors are very similar to this model:
http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/Displays-monitors-workstations/Medical-displays/Diagnostic-displays/5-MegaPixel-2800-x-2096-diagnostic-grayscale-display-system.aspx?tab=specs

Using DVI-D to connect, it's my understanding that DVI-D only allows a max resolution of 2560x1600, I'm not sure how Barco can get 2800 x 2096 ???

The advice I'm seeking is a recommendation to buy a video card that will support 3 monitors.
2 of these barco DVI-D monitors and 1 standard VGA 15". Windows 7, the video card will be going into a new PC from Asus.

Thank you so much !
Anthony

Solution

Hi,

"NVIDIA based graphics cards which carry a DVI-I connector are fully compatible with flat panel LCD monitors which typically have DVI-D cables. The DVI-D cable will only read the digital signal from the DVI-I connector on the graphics card and ignore the analog signal." source...
Considering those are grey scale displays they would need significantly less bandwidth than a normal monitor. The typical resolution limits are a function of the maximum bandwidth a cable can support not a hard cap.

Those are also sold with customized firepro based GPUs which I'm sure come with customized software and drivers. Read the tech specs/consult the manufacture for any special requirements

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Hi,

You will need a card with two Dual DVI-D link ports. Most cards can do this like this cheapish 660 GTX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130826&cm_re=gtx_660-_-14-130-826-_-Product

The 660 can actually drive 4 monitors and has 2x dual link DVI-D ports so both of those large medical monitors should work if you get the correct cables (the monitor should come with them.) You can see more info on these ports here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
but the 660GTX should be sufficient to drive all 3 screens at full resolution, but you would have to use the HDMI or the Display port for the 15" monitor or get an adapter to DVI or VGA, whichever your 15" monitor has.

Check at the back of the Barco monitor, it should take a 1x DVI-D Dual link cable which is becoming bog standard. I run 2560x1400 @120Hz so running that Barco requires less bandwidth and should work.

Gabor

acain1212

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Hi,

"NVIDIA based graphics cards which carry a DVI-I connector are fully compatible with flat panel LCD monitors which typically have DVI-D cables. The DVI-D cable will only read the digital signal from the DVI-I connector on the graphics card and ignore the analog signal." source: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/what-is-the-difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d%3F

So it should work with 2x DVI-D cables. You can plug the DVI-D t into that DVI-I port (one with the +) and it will use the digital features of the cable only for your monitor.

I can confirm that I pretty much all cards have this configuration and I use 2 and sometimes 3 monitors and the two dvi ports always just work fine, for the 3rd monitor I use an Active Displayport to VGA converter but only because I dont have HDMI or Displayport on my 3rd monitor.

Gabor

ps: one could also get two graphics cards but that is much more expensive than just getting what i suggested.

Solution

Philip Hobson

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
How much did you pay for the monitors? I work for a wholesaler that sales these monitors for around 60-70% less that you will see retail, including the manufactured issued graphic card and 5 year warranty.

I'm guessing these cost some where around $15-25,000 for a pair that we can offer for as low as $3,999 (refurbished)/ $5999 (new) for a pair of 3MP monitors (2x) and $8999 (refurbished) / $9999 (new) for a pair of 5MP monitors.

If you're just looking for a graphic card a Barco MXRT-5400 PCIe is around $499.

Feel free to email me at anytime and I can give you more information, data sheets etc. philip.hobson@baylanddigital.com