Question SUPPORT: GPU/Driver Issues

Aug 13, 2022
System Specs:
MSI B450 CARBON PRO MAX GAMING WIFI MOTHERBOARD
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (No OC)
AMD RADEON RX6600 GIGABYTE EAGLE 8GB
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO XMP 4200Mhz (No OC)
PRIM DISK-C: 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe
SEC DISK: 2tb Baracuda HDD
PSU: Can't remember the exact model however it is a recognised brand, and it is ~750W I believe
Display #1: 32" Bush LCD
Display #2: 32" Samsung LCD

Summary:

Black Screen When Playing Games

Computer has been running fine with virtually no issues present since I replaced the graphics card 8 months ago. I had maybe ran into some driver issues here and there as per usual with a computer, but nothing major. About a week and a half ago, I layed off the gaming and mostly used the computer to watch Netflix all day and night.

Last night I fired up the PC again and got to gaming with my friend. I played BeamNG for a few hours, and eventually installed Fall Guys and started up a stream. All was swell until suddenly the screen goes black on both of my displays and my friend can't hear me speaking. A few seconds after the video fault, the audio starts buzzing and I held the power button. I restarted it just fine and after a Windows update which was pending for a few days, I continued gaming. The same thing happened again, and then I went away to go and make some food. I come back, and with Fall Guys running in the background, I talk to my friend a little bit on discord. Same thing again (about 20-30 minutes later). I fired up the PC and googled around to troubleshoot. I found similar issues noting that the issues could be PSU, RAM, MOBO, or GPU related. I was originally thinking overheating due to the heatwave in the UK right now. No big deal I thought, until it happened again. I kept restarting it and it worked fine, and by then my friend had gone offline.

The problem got worse though, with the black screen persisting after a restart. I turned off the PSU, spammed the power button a few times, and restarted again. Only my secondary display turned on. I tried looking for logs and found a windows error in the reliability history tool about a hardware fault. I then saw an update for the Radeon Adrenalin tool, which I did. After the install and restart, I still had only one display working. I installed some tools such as App Centre, FurMark, and I reinstalled adrenalin which failed the first time (it succeeded the second). FurMark worked fine, and the CPU burner worked fine. I got on Forza Horizon 4 and started driving around to find the same issue again.

However, this time when I tried to restart, I heard a post error; 1 long beep, 2 short beeps. This was a one time anomalous occurrence. Eventually, Adrenalin threw an error when I tried to boot it. "This version of the software is incompatible with your currently installed is not compatible with your current driver" and the video output cut again. I really want to believe it is not a hardware issue considering it was an expensive card and my life pretty much revolves around my PC.

Present Situation: Only my second display works, and I am going to try different ram slots, one RAM stick at a time, reseating the card, and deleting all instances of the adrenaline software that I can locate.

I did also realise that my pc had a light fall to the side at the end of writing this which could be the culprit. Hoping that if this was the cause, it only unsettled some components, and not break them.

Thank you for reading, and I'd appreciate any advice!

Aug 13, 2022
Fix: Had a look at the card and realised the pci power connector was loose haha! The card takes an 8 pin, however I only have a 6+2pin connector, and the +2 had came loose when the tower fell. Spent like 2-3 hours of hassle over that 💔