Support Required

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi there, basically i recently bought a new case for my PC looking to upgrade its power supply and things but things did not go as expected, it appeared DELL micro-motherboards were designed differently then stock micro-atx so the board did not fit in this case - this case would fit normal micro-atx boards but not my Dell ones.

My specs are:

Dell optiplex 740 - desktop version

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000B @ 2.6ghz OC'd to 3.0 through software

4GB DDR2 RAM (2x1gb)

250GB HDD

280W PSU however my new case has a 500W PSU already with it.

what i need is a new motherboard that enables me to keep my processor yet be prepared for the future (Phenom perhaps) whilst still be able to use my RAM and HDD/DVD drive along with it.

i was thinking of getting this but thats about my budget, i dont have much to spend

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+AM3+%28nForce+Chipset%29/MSI+GF615M-P33+AMD%C2%AE+GeForce+6150se%2F+nForce+430+%28Socket+AM3%29+DDR3+PCI-Express+Micro-ATX+Motherboard+?productId=41134

p.s. if you send me any links etc make sure they ship to the UK please

I need help fast so thank you for your replies (if any)

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You can't just connect your old hard drive to a new motherboard and expect Windows run run on it. You will need to buy a new copy of Windows and do a fresh install of it and all your programs.

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
i know how to install windows , and everything else, i have 3 windows 7 cd's from work so that really isnt a problem + ive backed up all my data ready for a transfer, all i need is a compatible hard drive that will support my current processor and RAM seeing as the other parts are pretty much generic.

would this work?
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+AM3+%28nForce+Chipset%29/Asrock+N68C-S+UCC+nForce+630a+%28Socket+AM2%2B%29+DDR2%2FDDR3+PCI-Express+Motherboard+?productId=40392

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
awesome thanks, may i ask whats the difference between 5000B and 5000+ on the AMD processors? its been biting away at me for a while now, also DELL have their own heatsink for my current cpu (the dell logo is on it) will this also work on the new motherboard or will i have to buy a new one?

Cheers!

Wolfshadw

Titan
It looks like the 5000B is the "Business Class" version of the 5000+ processor. It's a different revision and runs at slightly difference voltages, but since it's listed on the new motherboard's supported CPU list, I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the Dell heatsink, I would think it would work, but also knowing Dell, I'd probably go ahead and purchase a new one for your motherboard. If the Dell heatsink works, you can always try to return the new one and get your money back.

-Wolf sends

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
thanks, although ill wait till the motherbaord arrives just incase the dell one can fit.

Ive ordered the motherboard today and its already been dispatched (estimated delivery 2 working days)

wish me luck with installing it

-MozZ

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
another question , sorry but what do you know about unlocking CPUs? this motherboard has the feature to unlock my Athlon X2 to a Phenom X4 , i'd like to know more about this if possible!

Cheers,

MozZ

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry. I don't deal with changing the shipped specifications. I don't unlock cores. I don't overclock. I'm just don't have the need or desire. Others may be able to assist you, though.

-Wolf sends

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
cheers, ordered it already - does my case need fans or will my pc be fine without them (till i get money to buy) ive read from the place i bought it that it supports one back fan and one fan mounted on the case but im out of cash for a few weeks.

motherboard already fitted into the case and wires attached, awaiting the heatsink!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Kind of surprising that your case didn't come with a fan. Coincidentally, I just shut down my system for dusting only to discover the last time I did, I forgot to reconnect the case fan. Basically, it's been running 24/7 for months with nothing but the power supply fan, CPU Heatsink/Fan and the graphics card fan. Assuming you purchased a mid-tower or larger case, you should be fine.

-Wolf sends

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
heatsink arrived and fitted, everythings operating fine - will buy fans asap considering my pc needs a fan but currently cooling it with a small desk fan running straight through the front of the case (it has vents) and its keeping my pc cool for now. What i came to ask was what is the average temperature a pc runs at (core HD0 CPU etc)

and i would also like to thank you for your fast replies! they helped alot

mozelite

Distinguished
May 10, 2011