Question Supported router

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 24, 2012
Hi ,

I have an
]AX6600 WiFi Router (RAX70) From netgear Nighthawk Its says it supports up to 6.6 gbps Now I have a Arris s33 cable modem and it supports up to 3.5 gbps download speed. So my question is I have a speed of 1200 From Xfinity I'm not sure if thats Mega Byte mega bit Giga Byte gigabit. I'm wondering if My router supports the speeds and can keep up with the speed of My package from xfinity and the speed of My modem. Or would I have to go out and get another router. I haven't see a router that goes up to 1200 if that's Gigabytes or gigabits and not Megabytes or megabits.

Thank you!!

100% certain that it's megabits, so effectively it's around 150 MBps or megabytes per second. Download/upload speeds that ISPs mention are pretty much always in megabits, or Mbps. Motherboards usually use Gbps. The difference is the capitalized b in MBps. If it's lower cased it's bits, if it's capitalized it's bytes. So if it's lower cased, divide the number by 8.

Your router supports up to 6600 Mbps, or about 825 MBps. Only 600 Mbps on 2.4GHz and 6000 Mbps on 5GHz. Meaning, your laptop/tablet/whatever other wireless device must support a 5GHz band to be able to utilize the full potential speed, but practically all devices do so nowadays. In case you might have connection or performance issues ith the 5GHz network, try removing all obstacles between your router and wireless device. Any obstacle whatsoever can cause issues.

The 1200 package is going to be 1.2gbit.

First the router you have only has gigabit ports. This will limit you top speed to about 950mbits allowing for overheard. Kinda shows the router maker knows they are telling lies with the 6.6g rates.

So lets say you got a router with the same specs and a 2.5g wan port.

You now come into the major set of wifi lies you see on all routers. First they add speeds together for all the radios but a end device can only use 1. So if you take the biggest of their lie numbers you now get 4080m.
The reason this is mostly a lie is the end devices. First almost no end device supports 4x4 mimo, most are 2x2. This is even more true on wifi6 devices. So now you get a number of about 2040m
Next most end devices do not support 160mhz wide channels they only support 80mhz. This drops the speed to 1201. Then if you are not sitting very close to the router you can not use QAM1024.....again assuming the end device supports it.
This drops you to 960 which is about the same as the previous wifi5 routers that get 866 with similar encoding.

So for most people the fancy wifi6 buys you nothing because of the lack of end device support.

Next wifi is half duplex only 1 device can transmit at a time. This more or less cuts the numbers in half. So you are down to about 400mbps.

Then even more important is you do not have all this bandwidth to yourself you are sharing it with all your neighbors. This is also why many end devices do not support 160mhz radio bands because they are attemping to use radio frequiency that are used by things like weather radar and there are all kinds of complex rules they must meet so rather than do that they only support 80mhz bands.

In general I would not expect to get more than about 300mbps on wifi you might if you bought high end wifi6 end users devices see about 600mbps.

Now this is only wifi. If you use ethernet you will get the full 1gbit less the overhead. In theory you can get more if you have faster wan ports. The problem with this is many sites on the internet themselves only have 1gbit ports or they have artificial limitation to prevent people with high speed internet connection from hogging bandwidth over people with smaller ones. You might see fast results in say speedtest that has servers that can deliver faster numbers but if you were to download data the other sites may not be as fast.

In general most people do not need more than maybe 100mbps depends on how many people and what they are doing. The only thing that is better with a faster connection is file downloads and it depends on how often you actually do that. I mean yes some big game might download in half the time but how many minutes per month total does this save you. Faster internet speeds do not make say netflix run any faster or games run better. These services only use the bandwidth they actually need extra is left unused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabalcho

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 24, 2012
The 1200 package is going to be 1.2gbit.

First the router you have only has gigabit ports. This will limit you top speed to about 950mbits allowing for overheard. Kinda shows the router maker knows they are telling lies with the 6.6g rates.

So lets say you got a router with the same specs and a 2.5g wan port.

You now come into the major set of wifi lies you see on all routers. First they add speeds together for all the radios but a end device can only use 1. So if you take the biggest of their lie numbers you now get 4080m.
The reason this is mostly a lie is the end devices. First almost no end device supports 4x4 mimo, most are 2x2. This is even more true on wifi6 devices. So now you get a number of about 2040m
Next most end devices do not support 160mhz wide channels they only support 80mhz. This drops the speed to 1201. Then if you are not sitting very close to the router you can not use QAM1024.....again assuming the end device supports it.
This drops you to 960 which is about the same as the previous wifi5 routers that get 866 with similar encoding.

So for most people the fancy wifi6 buys you nothing because of the lack of end device support.

Next wifi is half duplex only 1 device can transmit at a time. This more or less cuts the numbers in half. So you are down to about 400mbps.

Then even more important is you do not have all this bandwidth to yourself you are sharing it with all your neighbors. This is also why many end devices do not support 160mhz radio bands because they are attemping to use radio frequiency that are used by things like weather radar and there are all kinds of complex rules they must meet so rather than do that they only support 80mhz bands.

In general I would not expect to get more than about 300mbps on wifi you might if you bought high end wifi6 end users devices see about 600mbps.

Now this is only wifi. If you use ethernet you will get the full 1gbit less the overhead. In theory you can get more if you have faster wan ports. The problem with this is many sites on the internet themselves only have 1gbit ports or they have artificial limitation to prevent people with high speed internet connection from hogging bandwidth over people with smaller ones. You might see fast results in say speedtest that has servers that can deliver faster numbers but if you were to download data the other sites may not be as fast.

In general most people do not need more than maybe 100mbps depends on how many people and what they are doing. The only thing that is better with a faster connection is file downloads and it depends on how often you actually do that. I mean yes some big game might download in half the time but how many minutes per month total does this save you. Faster internet speeds do not make say netflix run any faster or games run better. These services only use the bandwidth they actually need extra is left unused.
I use all Ethernet cables I just want as close to the 1200 as I can get for download speed meaning if I download software oebtorrent provided that the server on there end is fast. It's a matter of principal. That and the fact that I do like my speed. Now I know the router can support the speed that my cable provider Xfinity is putting out. And so can my cable modem it's an arris S33 and I bought it because Tech from Xfinity which maybe a lie but they said that the modem was not longer comparable with there system and is no longer an Xfinity approved modem it was the SB 8200 now I know none of that is true but I looked at the specs and it doesn't support 1200 so there right there it won't keep up with the speed so I would be loosing out. But I have the S33 from Arris coming today. But now my Ethernet controller only supports a gig so I may have to buy one of those 10 gig Ethernet cards PCI express. I'm wondering if replacing the Ethernet would make a difference. I now have an Intel onboard Ethernet controller on my board. And it's just gigabyte. Is it true that an Ethernet card is faster than an onboard Ethernet controller? Or is it just Marketing. And it's not true. Thank you so much for your time

You can get 10gbit cards that run at full 10g speed.

Your new problem is that you need a router that also has lan and wan ports at 10g. You have to be kinda careful. Some cards can run say 10g and 2.5 and 5 but other cards will only run 10g. So even if you were to buy a router that has 2.5g ports you may not be able to connect a 10g card to it. Some you can and others you can not just depends on if it supports slower speeds.

You are going to lot of trouble to maybe get another 200mbps speed and that is likely only on the speedtest site. You never know what maximum other sites have.

Your modem has a 2.5gbe port, so that's your max theoretical speed.

Your router only has gigabit ports, which you can aggregate, but that's a pain and doesn't work for a single download over 1gigabit. It works for multiple downloads that add up over gigabit.

You should upgrade to a router with a 2.5gbe WAN port or higher.