Question Supposed hardware issue on PC

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Supposed hardware issue on PC the only components it could be is hard drives / ssds or GPU please help me narrow down

So ive not been able to play about half of my computer games since this time last year, they all throw up crazy errors that nobody can fix and its just a pain in the arse to be honest, not to mention ive not had the time until recently to sit down and trouble shoot.
I recenetly got this message after litterally a half a year long support ticket from a Halo support regarding an error that doesnt let me play that game:

Apologies for the delay in responding to your ticket, we appreciate your patience. Based on the information you have provided, we believe this to be a hardware issue with your PC. The main indication to us is that the game works as intended with your account on another PC. Unfortunately, we are not able to specifically identify the hardware component causing the issue. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I also notice some weird things on my computer that bug me but I dont really mind for example when I open task manager it often closes repeatedly on its own, same with windows explorer and very recently executable files specifically Nvidia drivers crash windows explorer when i interact with them in any way, e.g right click, open them delete them ect.
Now to be honest I believe the support people as this isnt normal behaviour for a PC and its too many games and errors for it to not be hardware, it bugged me so much i completely whiped my whole PC and it still had the same issue.
I just have to figure out what it is.

The only things I can think is that its hard drives / SSDs or that its my GPU as I brough all the hardware other than my some hard drives last november.
The GPU is a second hand 1070
The hard drives are about 3-4 years old and also I have cheap SSDs because, well im cheap aha.

I say it could be the GPU also because in the Halo instance, I made it further into the game when changing to DX11 mode than DX12 and obviously with every other component being basically 1 year old or less other than the GPU and hard drives thatd make most sense right?
I had lots of bluescreen issues with this PC when I had Viper ram in it, I purchased some vengance LPX and they fixed the issue
I really cant say much else than that, if anyone could recommend a tool for checking the health of SSDs as well as some sort of GPU test i suppose and could help me look through the data?
I will also include my drives and what they are used for to give some background too:

C drive: cheapo ADATA SSD 128gb for boot drive and odd programs.
D drive: WD 2tb for video editing stuff and long time storage.
E drive: seagate 2tb that has all my games on.
F and G: SSDs one is blank and the other has like one or two games on that work fine.

sysinf is as follows:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product B450M Pro4-F (asrock)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB Vengance LPX @ 3200mhz
Decent PSU 750w
GTX 1070

Any help well apreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your "decent"(branded) PSU? How old is the unit if it was recycled? You should look into the motherboard and see if there are any BIOS updates pending for the board. You should also be seeing an update pending for your OS. Perhaps try and use DDU to remove GPU drivers and then reinstall with the latest found off of manufacturer's support site.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Make and model of your "decent"(branded) PSU? How old is the unit if it was recycled? You should look into the motherboard and see if there are any BIOS updates pending for the board. You should also be seeing an update pending for your OS. Perhaps try and use DDU to remove GPU drivers and then reinstall with the latest found off of manufacturer's support site.
Its one year old 750w purepower 9, ik not the best but definetly not the worst either i brought it new.
My drivers are not up to date is because I DDUd them yesterday as I had updated to the newest ones and they had caused crashing issues in battlefield 4 so I went back to octobers drivers.
I am also on older motherboard bios because they specify that it works best with my ryzen series. Should I still update that? It isnt the oldest version just to add although not the newest for that reason.
OS is up to date.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
So ive just updated my bios, im sure it was the same version I was already on and I was right in saying that asrock are actually recommending not to download the latest updates on my particular CPU. I also downloaded the AMD chipset first as instructed. I still have issues. For more detail, the errors I get in games for example minecraft and halo seem to be texture / object related, for example it takes about 10 attempts to load into minecraft successfully with both the audio working, the menu and maps showing all the textures, its often that the audio is not there and some textures apear as purple and black "placeholders", in halo the errors are that of missing objects, the game obviously doesnt let me boot.

Windows explorer seems to constantly crash still. Just to add I have halo and minecraft on different disks, minecraft is on my C drive and halo on my E, so the common donominator there would be my GPU? Unless its common for the C drive or my E drive to cause issues across the whole computer, im not sure. I did dissasemble my computer and replace the affected drives cables as well as made sure theres no dust in the NVMEs slot (C drive), I did realise when doing this that my drives are not fully secure in their bays and they can move horizontally on the rails in the bays. Not sure if this wouldve messed anything up, I dont really move it when its on although im sure its had the odd chair leg hit now and again.
Thanks for the help so far, if anyone else can offer help ik its not much to go on but that would be well apreciated.