Supposed Xbox Durango Dev Kit Sells for 20K

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
i just want to know what the final hardware specs will be so someone like tomshardware can build a pc system to those specs and benchmark it. So we have a really good idea what we will be dealing with when it comes out next year.

JJ1217

Honorable
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]i just want to know what the final hardware specs will be so someone like tomshardware can build a pc system to those specs and benchmark it. So we have a really good idea what we will be dealing with when it comes out next year.[/citation]

Rumoured Crossfired HD 7000's GPU with a 16 core CPU. Seriously doubt that though.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Sake of PC gaming? Consoles kill PC gaming... PC gaming, already dead.[/citation]
Really? You want to say that in this forum? You know it is called Toms Hardware right? Typically that is for people who build their own computers. Thats like going to an Apple forum and saying "Apple Sucks".

bucknutty

Distinguished
Come on MS just give us the specs already. I have been holding out on upgrading my desktop because I want to make sure it meets or exceeds the new xbox spec. I play at least one new game a month and most of them are direct ports.

[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Seriously dude? There are like a billion comparisons that say other wise. Here is one.http://youtu.be/ocVyrtcTpHw[/citation]
An even better review would be to take an 'average' 2-3 year old desktop PC (which almost everyone has anyways) and put in $300 (the price of an xbox 360 with HDD) of gaming hardware. For the exact same price, there is simply no comparing the 2, the PC will always win. Plus the game selection for PC is huge, and generally cheaper than the console counterparts. I really don't get why people do consoles other than things like the wii which is a nice 'safe' little systems for your kids to play on and flail about with their wii remotes.

[citation][nom]bucknutty[/nom]Come on MS just give us the specs already. I have been holding out on upgrading my desktop because I want to make sure it meets or exceeds the new xbox spec. I play at least one new game a month and most of them are direct ports.[/citation]
If you bought a new moderate to high end game rig a year or two ago then it will beat the new console coming out 1.5 years from now.

G

There are always going to be people that favour a console over a pc or vice versa, why does this forum always come back to bitching about it?

For me playability comes into things far more than whether a game has amazing graphics or not so I couldn't care if they do bring out a next gen console or not. What I want is games that are great fun to play.

I have both a PC and consoles for games before someone lands me in one camp or the other!

ghakes

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Ok First off Toms hardware is not designed for any one type of group of people, it's not a PC builders
forum. Secondly Pc gameing isn't dead, many good folks enjoy the ability to use a keyboard while
playing a game. I personally don't, i prefer useing a joystick. I also enjoy not haveing to custimize every single game, i like just throwing a disk in and playing. But with that said i respect those who want to spend half their night setting up their graphics card and sound and keyboard and downloading driver after driver and what not. It's all good.............

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]An even better review would be to take an 'average' 2-3 year old desktop PC (which almost everyone has anyways) and put in $300 (the price of an xbox 360 with HDD) of gaming hardware. For the exact same price, there is simply no comparing the 2, the PC will always win. Plus the game selection for PC is huge, and generally cheaper than the console counterparts. I really don't get why people do consoles other than things like the wii which is a nice 'safe' little systems for your kids to play on and flail about with their wii remotes.[/citation]

that's not really fair... because you have the cost of the PC + the xbox...
most people dont want their PC hooked up to their tv
nor have their kids playing on it

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]An even better review would be to take an 'average' 2-3 year old desktop PC (which almost everyone has anyways) and put in $300 (the price of an xbox 360 with HDD) of gaming hardware. For the exact same price, there is simply no comparing the 2, the PC will always win. Plus the game selection for PC is huge, and generally cheaper than the console counterparts. I really don't get why people do consoles other than things like the wii which is a nice 'safe' little systems for your kids to play on and flail about with their wii remotes.[/citation]

you have to first add in a new psu, so there goes 100$
so 200 left... i use a 5770, so what ever the equivilant of that but new

there you have a computer than can play most games at 60 fps 1920x1200 with slightly lowered details.

you also have to hope that the motherboard has a pciex16 slot, as i know many people years ago skimped on putting that into the computer for the sake of a cheaper computer.

its annoying when i hear people cry the 360 is cheaper and such, and that a pc will cost them a grand, but realistically, they have a pc regardless of having a console or not, the little it takes to make it gaming is FAR cheaper in the long run than a 360.

and one last thing on that note. got borderlands 2 for 40$ new, and if you know russian, you can get it legitimately for 12$

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]If you bought a new moderate to high end game rig a year or two ago then it will beat the new console coming out 1.5 years from now.[/citation]

epic is pushing for what, 3 tflop so there is a gooc chance that if that goes through you wont have a good enough gameing pc anymore.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Think about this. Developers need to come up with tens of thousands of dollars for a DEV kit to help make one platform more desired than others..... that is a stupid design and more reason that talented developers should get behind OUYA. It has enough horse power to do close to the same as PS3 and XBOX360 and only for 100 bones. Anyone who thinks the processing power behind XBOX360 and PS3 is way better, doesn't understand that developers STILL arent even close to taping into those other cores. Right now the better console = the better GPU, JUST LIKE PC's. Why should consumers need to drop 600+ every few years? Why should developers have to spend 10's of millions of dollars on the next greatest (yet still the same boring) FPS? Break the trend. Start the future. www.ouya.tv (i have no affliation with ouya, I just support it because it's better for everyone)

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

What? Developers don't make devkits. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo make the devkits, and I'm sure that's a gross overestimation of the actual cost of one.

..... that is a stupid design and more reason that talented developers should get behind OUYA. It has enough horse power to do close to the same as PS3 and XBOX360 and only for 100 bones.
Have you read anything at all about Ouya? It does not have the power of a PS3, let alone an Xbox 360. It has the processor and on-die GPU of a tablet - which is designed to almost look pretty at maybe 1280x720 (not 1080p).

Anyone who thinks the processing power behind XBOX360 and PS3 is way better, doesn't understand that developers STILL arent even close to taping into those other cores.
I'm not following you here. You're saying the 360 and PS3 aren't any more powerful than Ouya because the two have untapped potential? While I totally agree that they do have untapped potential (PS3 especially - its hardware is just too frustrating to work with, to my knowledge), I would venture to say that means they have more power than Ouya.

Right now the better console = the better GPU, JUST LIKE PC's.
Yes, and Ouya's tablet-grade GPU isn't comparable to even the 360's Xenos GPU - the Xenos is capable of 240 GFLOPS, compared to Tegra 3's 12 GFLOPS (both clocked at 500MHz).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]What? Developers don't make devkits. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo make the devkits, and I'm sure that's a gross overestimation of the actual cost of one.Have you read anything at all about Ouya? It does not have the power of a PS3, let alone an Xbox 360. It has the processor and on-die GPU of a tablet - which is designed to almost look pretty at maybe 1280x720 (not 1080p).I'm not following you here. You're saying the 360 and PS3 aren't any more powerful than Ouya because the two have untapped potential? While I totally agree that they do have untapped potential (PS3 especially - its hardware is just too frustrating to work with, to my knowledge), I would venture to say that means they have more power than Ouya.Yes, and Ouya's tablet-grade GPU isn't comparable to even the 360's Xenos GPU - the Xenos is capable of 240 GFLOPS, compared to Tegra 3's 12 GFLOPS (both clocked at 500MHz).[/citation]

its not an over estimate. last i remember dev kits costed closer to 75 grand

considering a dev kid can run any code for the console, that means that you an run burnt games and such, if a dev kit was even 5k or less, its almost a reasonable price if you never pay for a game.

the current consoles barely ever render at 720p, much less 1080p,
crappy video, but looking at these graphics, i can live with them, as it doesnt matter console, pc, gameplay is king, and everything else can take a back seat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRY8SOj5qaw
if the oyea looks at least that good, im perfectly ok with it.

G

That is a fake. What is pictured is actually a " SuperMicro SC745TQ-800 " , which is a normal computer shell.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Why would any one buy this. it's not like it use full as MS could relece a patch to all known dev units making it useless.

Quote :
Anyone who thinks the processing power behind XBOX360 and PS3 is way better, doesn't understand that developers STILL arent even close to taping into those other cores.

That's a lie. the Xenon and Cell reached there limits some time ago.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]What? Developers don't make devkits. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo make the devkits, and I'm sure that's a gross overestimation of the actual cost of one.Have you read anything at all about Ouya? It does not have the power of a PS3, let alone an Xbox 360. It has the processor and on-die GPU of a tablet - which is designed to almost look pretty at maybe 1280x720 (not 1080p).I'm not following you here. You're saying the 360 and PS3 aren't any more powerful than Ouya because the two have untapped potential? While I totally agree that they do have untapped potential (PS3 especially - its hardware is just too frustrating to work with, to my knowledge), I would venture to say that means they have more power than Ouya.Yes, and Ouya's tablet-grade GPU isn't comparable to even the 360's Xenos GPU - the Xenos is capable of 240 GFLOPS, compared to Tegra 3's 12 GFLOPS (both clocked at 500MHz).[/citation]

Ugh, how could you possibly be confused by my statement. Nowhere did I say that developers make dev kits. I am not ripping on developers, I am ripping on the system.

Pay the Big 3 $50k+ for their dev kit. Then, as a developer, you need millions of dollars to even scratch the service of making something worthwhile and it doesn't even come close to promising you a profit on said game (with millions invested). That isn't the fault of developers it's the fault of Nintendo, M$, and $ony. 240 GFLOPS is useless if it can only handle texture resolutions below 480p. Plus PS3 and XBOX360 lacked shareable registers and it was poorly desiged. Granted, for gaming Xenon is probably better designed than Cell. However technologies (including texture compression) have changed and the BIG 3 are way behind. THey are now trying to convince you that more cores = more power, which is pure crap. Game developers(actualy most software developers) can't change their code to streams. If you had a stream of data you could pass the stream off from processor x to processor y to processor z, but they dont and they wont. you may as well have 400 cores. it's not going to do squat.

The next systems will features OpenGL 3.3+ and DX11 and that's pretty much all you'll be getting. It's not worth the 600 bucks that will be the asking price(probably) at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.