Supposedly higher-end CPU not performing correctly?

krekklefrekkle

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
So, I recently upgraded to an i7-4790k with a new gryphon z97 and a clean installation of windows on my ssd. I got the new processor in order to have better performance with video editing. I barely see a difference from when I used my i5-2500k.
Just now, I started up a game of Civ V with a bunch of mods on in a very large map. Everything ran fine until I ended my turn, then I experienced a lot of slowdown with just 8 civs and 12 city-states. I've heard Civ V is a cpu-intensive game, why am I still having trouble?
I figured in order to bear the wait between turns, I would window civ V and have youtube running in my second monitor. As soon as I did this civ v started running really badly and the youtube video was even stuttering.

I have 8 gigabytes of RAM and while this was going on, only 6 gigabytes were being used. I spent a ton of money on this processor and I am really disappointed.
Could it be because my PSU is 460 watts? Could it be my nvidia gtx 550 ti holding me back? Or is the i7 not as amazing as I expected it to be?

Solution
In gaming your GPU is very old and slow to be paired with your CPU. It doesn't have the raw power or vram to even make the cpu sweat 99% of the time. In cpu bound stuff the 4790K is only 15-20% more powerful in non AVX stuff than your old 2500K. With either CPU you need a way better GPU. The on die GPU on your 4790K is almost better than your Nvidia GFX 550 ti..

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Can you monitor CPU core usage during gaming ? Civ6 knows to shutter and do those kind of things, lately no matter how good hardware you have there will always be limits in performance from developers and overall coding.

I would suggest using some cpu monitore software like HWiNFO64 / CPU-Z and see temperatures, cpu/core usage. To clarify is cpu performing in theory fine you can do passmark benchmark, results are here - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+%40+4.00GHz&id=2275

In terms of rendering and video editing, what software do you use ? You are not going to see difference with Sony Vegas for example, you will still need ~ 1 hour for 15min long video while in Adobe Premiere you will render 15min long video for about ~15min in 1080p60fps h264 codec.

krekklefrekkle

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

In the performance test downloaded from that website, my cpu got a score of 12365.8. my overall passmark was only 3758.3, however. If my cpu is rated so high, why am I barely seeing a difference from before?

In gaming your GPU is very old and slow to be paired with your CPU. It doesn't have the raw power or vram to even make the cpu sweat 99% of the time. In cpu bound stuff the 4790K is only 15-20% more powerful in non AVX stuff than your old 2500K. With either CPU you need a way better GPU. The on die GPU on your 4790K is almost better than your Nvidia GFX 550 ti..

Solution
If you're gaming online and watching videos online, could it be that the two are stressing your internet connection? It's a bit of an exaggeration but an i7 won't make dialup run any faster than a pentium anniversary edition. Civ v is an older game and even when they revisited it with newer cpu's, using a single 7970 there's very little fps difference between the 2500k and 4790k.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/8

krekklefrekkle

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

So, if I were to get say a Radeon R9 290x, my cpu will be able to show its true power?

krekklefrekkle

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

I was playing single player, the only thing really depending on my internet connection was the youtube vid, which I could watch fine if Civ V was minimized.