Article Supreme Court Rules Apple Anti-trust Lawsuits May Move Forward

Neither Google or Valve force you to use or buy directly from them. Developers are free to use other means of distribution, hell even Samsung has their own app store that some of their apps push from and you have GMG and HumbleBundle. Thats the major difference between them. Apple forces everyone to go through the App Store and through them only.

Honestly I am not sure why anyone would even be surprised by this at all. Apple has always controlled its ecosystem. From MacOS to iOS, they have always held a tight grip over everything. Hell you can barely upgrade RAM in an Apple system.

I am sure they will fight to the death over this but if by some chance they lose it will be interesting to see what happens. Without the control over how and what apps get published for iOS it could cause them a lot of potential headaches and loss of revenue.

Reactions: Deadhound

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I've have 10 purchased titles on Steam/Valve that I've played for over 10,000 hours. Steam tracks my purchased titles, notifies and manages my updates and available enhancements some of which are free and some for purchase, and I've downloaded these titles over a hundred times as I've moved to different drives and computers. So if they have made a couple of hundred bucks over the last decade plus it certainly feel like I've received reasonable value. When I click on my Steam icon, the last game I played comes up and not a bunch of bloat ads that slow down my computer.

In contrast are the two overpriced Apple phones I own which are quirky, a royal pain, bloated with ads and frequently freeze requiring a power off/restart.

Last edited:
Hell you can barely upgrade RAM in an Apple system.

I am sure they will fight to the death over this but if by some chance they lose it will be interesting to see what happens. Without the control over how and what apps get published for iOS it could cause them a lot of potential headaches and loss of revenue.

do they still solder ram in anymore or did they get enough backlash about that and end it?

and TBH I wanna know how court didnt find it a monopoly....its literally the ONLY way to get an app onto device. you can't "agree to risk security to instal non app store apps" liek every other device can.

but yeah if they do actually lose i am curious as to what will happen.

I'm not sure I understand the issue.

Apple sells premium priced, closed platform devices, and has done so for long enough nobody should expect otherwise.

Since when was any company beholden to offer any sort of software for their devices, especially at a particular price point, after the initial sale of the original device?

You have an option of android or ultra portable pc if you dont like apples closed system. The vast majority of the iOS apps are available across multiple platforms.

I dont see how anyone can sue based on this fact.

And while the app store may be annoying to some it does help ensure your sysyem is virus free and devoid of conflicting apps or possibly illegal ones.

do they still solder ram in anymore or did they get enough backlash about that and end it?

and TBH I wanna know how court didnt find it a monopoly....its literally the ONLY way to get an app onto device. you can't "agree to risk security to instal non app store apps" liek every other device can.

but yeah if they do actually lose i am curious as to what will happen.

I have not checked their most recent products but a few years ago you could still install some RAM into them or swap the drive out but thats normally it for a Mac device.

You have an option of android or ultra portable pc if you dont like apples closed system. The vast majority of the iOS apps are available across multiple platforms.

I dont see how anyone can sue based on this fact.

And while the app store may be annoying to some it does help ensure your system is virus free and devoid of conflicting apps or possibly illegal ones.

If Microsoft can be sued and lose for including a basic media player and web browser, while still allowing you to install and use alternatives, and be fined heavily then the same rules must apply to everyone.

This is also unfair to developers as even if there was a better way to publish an app, they cannot and have to pay the good ol Apple tax.

Reactions: hotaru251