[SOLVED] Surface 3 with cracked screen and touchscreen function not working --- is it possible to fix?

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

So I have a Surface 3 that fell a few years back on it's corner by the hands of a 2 year old nephew. For years I've been using it as a netbook, because, incredibly enough, the screen still works. Microsoft's build quality does impress me, as I don't think an iPad would have survived that fall. It has always had a tempered glass screen protector which did not protect the screen completely but it is still preventing the cracked corner from letting pieces of shattered glass fall out.

My guess is, despite not understanding how exactly the touchscreen is built, that the touch part of the screen was popped out of place by a small dent in the outer frame. It seems to me that the touch and display are two separate components, but I can't be sure. Would it be possible to avoid replacing the screen (which is no longer worth the $160 that it still costs for the screen alone) by just somehow popping it back in? It would definitely be nice to be able to use this as a tablet again.

Note that the device is not a Surface Pro 3, or a Surface Laptop 3. Just a Surface 3.

I have a picture of the damage, but I'm not sure how to post it on here. Here's a link to pictures on imgur - View: https://imgur.com/a/ETJSQ8e

Thanks!

Solution
D
Thanks! I'm still wondering if it's worth it- I have no experience replacing screens of phones or tablets, and this one seems rather difficult to do, which means I'd have to pay someone else to do it.

What does it mean that this is refurbished? I mean, it's just the digitizer- Something that was cracked and somehow fixed?

At this point just watch ebay, surface tablets sell often depending on the model for under $100 that would be your best bet.
D

Deleted member 362816

To Be Honest all of the repairs for this even it it was just the glass no the digitizer are simply not worth doing. Re-sealing new glass on is much harder then just replacing the whole screen. Maybe try ebay.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
To Be Honest all of the repairs for this even it it was just the glass no the digitizer are simply not worth doing. Re-sealing new glass on is much harder then just replacing the whole screen. Maybe try ebay.
I can't find anything other than a replacement for the whole screen. My guess is that it really is one piece, and that to fix it I'd have to shell out the $160,. I guess it will stay a netbook, and that my tablet days are over until this one actually goes. I don't really have the money to buy a new PC at the moment. Thanks anyway.

D

Deleted member 362816

I can't find anything other than a replacement for the whole screen. My guess is that it really is one piece, and that to fix it I'd have to shell out the $160,. I guess it will stay a netbook, and that my tablet days are over until this one actually goes. I don't really have the money to buy a new PC at the moment. Thanks anyway.

They can be had much cheaper then 160$ just have to browse around.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
They can be had much cheaper then 160$ just have to browse around.

Thanks! I'm still wondering if it's worth it- I have no experience replacing screens of phones or tablets, and this one seems rather difficult to do, which means I'd have to pay someone else to do it.

What does it mean that this is refurbished? I mean, it's just the digitizer- Something that was cracked and somehow fixed?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

At this point just watch ebay, surface tablets sell often depending on the model for under $100 that would be your best bet.

Solution