Surface Display Quality Bests iPad, Says Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
personally I think they are taking a big gamble at $500. The only way this will take off is if it is extraordinary. Soon we shall see.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Surface Display Quality Bests iPad, Says Microsoft

Yeah, pretty sure any company who makes a product is going to promote it. Although, I wish MS would promote a higher res screen - makes it more believable. Then again, it's RT - hope the next model up supports something better.

katfishgr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Is this another "you're holding it wrong" argument?? LoL

Depending on which angle you hold it, and how the light is reflected ... will Apple sue for iPad defamation?

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Comparing to the majority of laptops out there now, surface has a very decent resolution at its display size.
With it's productivity app(such as office), it'll thrive.

Actually, tbh, I'm rooting for anyone who does not have a fruit logo.
And yes, I'm an Apple hater and a proud sSheep(owner of SGS2, SGS3 and Nexus 7).

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ittimjones[/nom]I think this is where all personal computing is heading. (with a USB port and A/V out)But it'll be years before widespread adoption.[/citation]

Nope. There will always be room for the bigboy desktop PC. It will always be exponentially faster at many tasks than your tablet. Sure, its big, heavy, and kind of loud when you've got crysis at full tilt - but tablets aren't going to be encoding 4K videos or playing Star Citizen any time soon.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Nope. There will always be room for the bigboy desktop PC. It will always be exponentially faster at many tasks than your tablet. Sure, its big, heavy, and kind of loud when you've got crysis at full tilt - but tablets aren't going to be encoding 4K videos or playing Star Citizen any time soon.[/citation]

I agree that there will always be room for a desktop PC, but disagree about the "any time soon" comment. Tablets are getting faster quickly and will continue to do so, although because of the nature of the desktop you can simply put more hardware in there, so while tablets may soon be doing 4k video encoding, a desktop will be doing a lot more.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I just don't get how the RT version makes sense. At least, not without 3g... It is basically WP8.5 without the app ecosystem...
Surface Pro makes sense, but just doesn't seem to have the battery life, etc...

shortyg83

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I feel like most people with negative comments on this are either not reading or not actually thinking about this.
1. People saying 500 is a big gamble.- It is already sold out.
2. Resolution. There is literally nothing about ipads resolution that makes it usable besides picture viewing and reading. and considering in side by side test every tech company that was allowed to view these stated that surface looked better, I would say that resolution doesn't matter.
3. The product looks great, was well thought out, and done correctly. No other company has put this kind of time into a product outside of apple.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
The iPad doesn't have a 60Hz refresh rate, cleartype display, or the high contrast ratio of the Surface. You guys need to actually research something beside spouting your typical iPad talking points.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]The iPad doesn't have a 60Hz refresh rate, cleartype display, or the high contrast ratio of the Surface. You guys need to actually research something beside spouting your typical iPad talking points.[/citation]
Except that it does have a 60hz refresh rate and you don't need cleartype with a 2048x1536 resolution because you don't have any discernable aliasing at that resolution.

G

There are more than 3 times the number of pixels in the ipad vs this tablet... 3.15million vs 1.05 million

aragis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
There comes a price with high resolution.

1- As pixel density gets higher, you'll need a brighter backlight to push the light through smaller pixels. So the screen will drain battery a bit faster.

2- The amount of processing power needed to utilize a higher resolution display is much higher than one with lower resolution. Especially when you run 3d applications such as games. (There is a noticable FPS difference between playing a game in 720p and 1080p. Imagine the same thing between a 1280x800 and a 2048x1536 display and the gap is HUGE) You'll need more processing power, and that will drain battery faster and make the device run hotter.

Not saying that a high PPI display looks sweet. But if Surface uses these trade-offs to it's advantage and have better battery life, I can definitely see it become successful.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Meanwhile, another user posed the question of why Microsoft implemented a higher resolution for the tablet's Pro version.
It's simple really... The WinRT version will be running on the trashy Tegra 3 chip that can barely even handle 720p thanks to its single channel memory controller.

It's sad this thing will be released with an outdated and crappy performance SoC. I'll stick with the Pro version thank you.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Title: Surface Display Quality Bests iPad, Says Microsoft
Subtitle: Light reflected off Surface has a measurement lower than that of the current generation iPad's.
My reaction: hahahahaha xD Come on, I know marketing's gotta do its thing but this seems desperate xD

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]There comes a price with high resolution.1- As pixel density gets higher, you'll need a brighter backlight to push the light through smaller pixels. So the screen will drain battery a bit faster.2- The amount of processing power needed to utilize a higher resolution display is much higher than one with lower resolution. Especially when you run 3d applications such as games. (There is a noticable FPS difference between playing a game in 720p and 1080p. Imagine the same thing between a 1280x800 and a 2048x1536 display and the gap is HUGE) You'll need more processing power, and that will drain battery faster and make the device run hotter.Not saying that a high PPI display looks sweet. But if Surface uses these trade-offs to it's advantage and have better battery life, I can definitely see it become successful.[/citation]

The solution here seems to be to just switch over to OLED, such as with the ZuneHD.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is a bold statement from Microsoft, and I don't think it's too valid. While light reflection is a factor, I think resolution means a good bit more. I'd take a glossy 2560x1600 monitor over a less glossy 1920x1080 monitor any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.