Surface Hub 2 Offers Microsoft's Take on Minority Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
MS really isn't trying to be like Apple. They are trying to brand better. If you look at the world through MS's eyes, everything Apple created in the 2000s MS created first. The problem MS faced was the user experience and advertising.

Much of what Apple and MS created in the 80's and 90's was already created by Xerox in the 70's.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I think they were just tired of being the invisible guys that don't get much credit. Much better to push the boundaries and generally lead by example, rather than just hope OEMs "do the things" as good as Apple (and market it as well as Apple). That doesn't mean they're copying them, so much as trying to play on the same field (rather than staying quiet in the background). I mean look at Surface Hub 2 or HoloLens. Are they really trying to be like Apple there?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

What I meant is that they're building more hardware products, rather than just making a "Windows: Presentation Edition" OS and creating a hardware reference specification for their OEM partners to build something like what's shown in the demo.

Between that and the app store, it feels a lot like Apple envy. I don't blame them, but they shouldn't forget that there are reasons why many of their (remaining) users didn't switch to Macs, years ago.

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Apple lost their innovation edge years ago... Microsoft is setting the pace with tools like the Surface Hub, Apple thinks removing earphone jacks is "innovative".

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Nobody trusts MS to follow through on new projects.
They've scrapped so many things that they've alienated the people who were once willing to be their early adopters.

Scrapping projects is better than wasting even more money on a losing endeavor, such as the Zune.

All I know is that I've been waiting decades for a whiteboard that can be written on directly, save what you have, and bring it up later for more work. First time I've seen one, and what I wanted is a tiny fraction of the features.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I've seen white boards you can save a couple years ago.
Also I still use my Windows Mobile Device, but the battery has been finicky since I dropped it and the applications have had their support dropped since Microsoft announced they will not be developing the OS further.

Status
Not open for further replies.