Surface Mount Ethernet Jacks Activating them

Jul 15, 2018
When I moved into this house, they had these two I believe surface mount ethernet jacks. So, I took an ethernet cord, plugged it into the surface mount ethernet jack and the other part in my computer. However, the ethernet symbol wasn't appearing on my laptop. I tried plugging it into my xbox, but that showed nothing either. Why is this not working? I tried contacting my internet provider and they said "Optimum would not activate those ports since they were not installed by optimum." This is what it looks like
https://ibb.co/hqAHOd

Solution
Says CAT3 on the cable also which tends to be what they used to use for phone cable.

You might if you are very lucky be able to get 100mbps on that wire. It might drop to 10mbps or not work at all. You would have to replace the jacks on both ends with standard rj45 jacks.

Its been a long time but I seem to remember you could run 10mbps on cat3 cable
Jul 15, 2018

I don't think so because thers a telephone port legit on the wall right next to it

This picture definitely shows that its only one pair (two wires, orange) connected - this is a phone line connection.

In order to use for Ethernet, you have to trace the cable, and rewire both ends. Other end must plug into a router / switch, and this end into a proper RJ45 Ethernet box - you can safely throw away both these boxes.

Jul 15, 2018

So just to confirm, both of these https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZNmdrrru8eFKv3wo_gBpHrOU9DocS1Ne are phone line connections.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Orange + Orange/White going to the right.
Blue + Blue/White going to the left.

Not even close to anything ethernet related.

Says CAT3 on the cable also which tends to be what they used to use for phone cable.

You might if you are very lucky be able to get 100mbps on that wire. It might drop to 10mbps or not work at all. You would have to replace the jacks on both ends with standard rj45 jacks.

Its been a long time but I seem to remember you could run 10mbps on cat3 cable

Solution