[SOLVED] Surface pro4 win10 constant freezes

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
so after i've replaced my screen on my sp4 i was trying to use it again after a few months and noticed it kept freezing and freezing. every 10 or so seconds the type cover would discconect (had that before too) but also the touch freezes.. sometimes i get 5-10 second freezes every 30 seconds and sometimes it wil just freeze permamently and even the clock wil freeze.. but if i hold the powerbutton the normal slide down to shutdown appears and i can interact with it fine.. i've already reset the tablet and reran the updates afterwards but still the freezes.. i'm on 1903 and thinking of reinstalling 1709 at this point anyone know a fix for this before i go through that hassle?

Solution
D
even if you go back it will eventually update to 1903 or latest, whenver.... I think you have hardware issues

did you do the screen replacement yourself? why was the screen broken and in need of replacement? see, I think there are other causes hardware related. But you could try going back and seeing if it makes a difference. If so, how are you going to keep it there?

if a reset didn't work, and a clean install doesn't work, you can be pretty sure it's hardware
D

Deleted member 14196

even if you go back it will eventually update to 1903 or latest, whenver.... I think you have hardware issues

did you do the screen replacement yourself? why was the screen broken and in need of replacement? see, I think there are other causes hardware related. But you could try going back and seeing if it makes a difference. If so, how are you going to keep it there?

if a reset didn't work, and a clean install doesn't work, you can be pretty sure it's hardware

Solution

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
i was replacing the very slow 128 gb ssd with a very fast nvme 512 gb ssd. it was the 2nd time i opened the device (first time was under suspicion of battery swelling but that wasnt true)
and while cleaning the adhesive from the surface my desk slightly bent and made the screen slid off while i was working on the actual unit. the touch was dead of the screen but the screen worked so i used it for about 3-4 weeks and it worked fine then i left it unused for about a month and a half till i got a replacement display assembly and replacement touch controller (i was suspecting the touch controller board also got damaged because it was on the impact side of the screen. i assembled it and it worked fine it seemed..

now i just reinstalled the os using a usb drive (1709) and so far no freezes at all anymore but there is no gpu drivers and touch drivers so atm trying to download the driver packages.

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
hmm for some reason when i check windows update everytime after it froze a windows secuity update is downloading or installing. from some old posts in 2015 i read that another user is having the same issue with it freezing and that update being pending...
i wil run a overnight run of adia64 with gpu cpu and ram maxed out while plugged in as a test (as i read that a corrupt power management bios update or some sort can also be the cause of this on this specific model altho a update from 2016-17 should have fixed this exact issue)

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
ok so update. i ran it all night while plugged in and it didnt crash at all.
except my screen got the so called surface pro 4 flicker gate issue (didnt have that issue before with long term usage)
so i'm somehow thinging all of this is related to the screen and debating to take it off and test the old screen again to see if it does the same