Surface to build PC on

zaxon

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I'm trying to figure out a surface I can build my PC on. I know wooden table is the way to go but I have a couple issues. I do have a wooden table outside which I could use but since this is my first build, I want to test out the motherboard before placing it into the case and I would need a monitor. My monitor is mounted to the wall in my bedroom so I can't take that out to my kitchen (where the wooden table is). I was thinking of bringing a plastic table, like in the photo below into my bedroom and working from there. I also have carpeted floors in my bedroom but my kitchen has wooden. Not sure what to do. Should I just build it in the kitchen then test everything? I would hate to unplug and all that stuff if something were wrong.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6474838409P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=33-115976376-2

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I wouldn't worry about building it on the plastic table, that wouldn't be a problem. But building it on carpeting isn't a good idea. I'd build it in the kitchen and then move upstairs if I were you - just to be safe.

Anything but carpet pretty much. Or stuff that has alot of static electricity. I built a few just a few hours ago on a piece of cardboard, while wearing socks on 70's shag carpeting.

Which I do not recommend at all in the least bit. Make sure you are just not on carpet at all, and you probably should be fine. I have never actually messed up a component before due to static.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

For the most part you wont actualy break anything - especialy nothing in a PC. But it can cause weaknesses in parts which make them break down over time. In many high tech sectors you need to be grounded at all times. I spend 8 hours a day with an ESD wrist strap on - good times.

TRENDING THREADS