[SOLVED] Surge killed pc

Semmie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
My pc was struck by a power surge along one of our imacs, the imac tries to start but turns itself off the whole time. And my pc has a worse problem. Everytime i try to turn it on. It makes a little "Ting" sound and then only lights up my ram (corsair vengeance) my fans dont spin, rgb strips dont light up. Just my ram. I have a gigabyte aorus gaming 7 x470 with a ryzen 7 3700x (motherboard has had a usb flash bios update) a day before the accident everything worked. Motherboard lights lit up, fans worked. I tried some things like resetting cmos but it didnt work. Im lost guys and i need help badly. Psu is a corsair 850 watt gold rated power supply. The motherboard power and cmos button on the IO stay lit up. So i fear its my psu. Any thoughts?

Solution
Even tho the ram modules light up and the back io lights up?
Agreed with Dark Lord.

You could see it like a USB port that hasn't been connected properly. The port can still provide power, but nothing else. Motherboards can easily get fried and still "appear" to be working normally asides the blank screen.

Usually surges as Dark Lord says often come down to PSU or MB, less risk if your PSU is good quality and not too old. Only real way to find out is to swap and test.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Even tho the ram modules light up and the back io lights up?
Agreed with Dark Lord.

You could see it like a USB port that hasn't been connected properly. The port can still provide power, but nothing else. Motherboards can easily get fried and still "appear" to be working normally asides the blank screen.

Usually surges as Dark Lord says often come down to PSU or MB, less risk if your PSU is good quality and not too old. Only real way to find out is to swap and test.

Reactions: Semmie
Solution

Semmie

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Agreed with Dark Lord.

UPDATE: It was after all my psu, he tanked the current so my components would survive. retailer was kind enough to send me a new one.