Surge protector for PC?

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
Hey guys,
I recently bought a new gaming PC and am currently running it on a simple power strip and have been told that I should invest in a decent surge protector.
Does a good quality surge protector better regulate the flow of power to my PC as opposed to a simple power strip? If so, could anyone recommend me a decent quality surge protector I can purchase? (I am not looking for a UPS as back up power does not worry me).
I currently have a Seasonic X-650 650W power supply if that helps the recommendations :p

Thankyou :)

Also, I should note that I have 2 other appliances such as phone charger and lamp etc connected to the 4 socket power strip as well as my computer/monitor.

Solution
if your in an area that brows out a lot or are in states like fl where there a lot of lighting strikes. having a ups will keep your pc better protected. power strip/surge protector...has time limits on how fast it act and a voltage range that it set to turn off or clamp. i seen work pc fried as there strips/protection was not fast to stop the spike from hitting the machine. also now with cable modems a lot of times spike goes into the mode and into the ethernet port on pc and fries the mb.

A decent surge protector is a power strip from Belkin. I personally use that and it is pretty good.

if your in an area that brows out a lot or are in states like fl where there a lot of lighting strikes. having a ups will keep your pc better protected. power strip/surge protector...has time limits on how fast it act and a voltage range that it set to turn off or clamp. i seen work pc fried as there strips/protection was not fast to stop the spike from hitting the machine. also now with cable modems a lot of times spike goes into the mode and into the ethernet port on pc and fries the mb.

Solution

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

Would a surge protector be alright to use? I rarely experience power outages in my area, my only concern really is that my cheap power strip (probably cost me $5-$10) is somehow unreliably controlling the power in and out of my computer(?) and therefore limiting my quite expensive gaming PC.

I saw this surge protector for $70 AUD ($54 USD):
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/belkin/belkin-2-4-amp-usb-charging-8-outlet-surge-protection-strip/700450/

Would that do the job? And if not, what exactly am I looking for in a surge protector in terms of properties?