Surge protector for pc

MENBOONG

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I've got my PC, my monitor (ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR), powered speakers, phone charger, usb hub and nintendo switch charger all plugged in one surge protector https://www.computeralliance.com.au/8-port-cyberpower-home-theater-series-surge-protector-pn-cpsurge08-anz but I've noticed while plugging in the speakers (audioengine hd6) my monitor turns off for like a second. Do i have too many high powered devices plugged into the surge protector? I returned my previous speakers (audioengine A5+) because i had the same problem with them but with those i had static interference whereas with the HD6 i don't.

Here are my system specs if that helps:

i7 8700k
Asus gtx 1080 ti
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
32GB corsair ram

It's not a straight-up power limit issue because you'd obviously draw more power gaming than say IDLE PC usage whilst plugging in speakers.

The device should (AFAIK) only trip if you exceed 10A draw.

So... WTF?

Also, why only the monitor?
I suppose the computer's PSU might have sufficient capacitor storage to handle a very short delay if the surge protector is limiting voltage for some reason when you plug in the speakers.

*Then OTHER DEVICES should go off temporarily that have similar AC power adapters as a monitor. So maybe try putting any other device on there and observe it (external USB HDD, or DVD player.. ). Also, try switching the monitor around.

So no idea.

I'd contact Cyberpower because this doesn't seem right.

OTHER:
the other speakers had static?
Did you try them with a different input than the PC?

The HD5+ only has analog inputs so it's either the PC or the amplifier is faulty (in which case any input would be problematic, and possibly no input would cause static).

The HD6 supports some DIGITAL inputs but if the PC was the problem then ANALOG should still have static.

OTHER:
My best guess is it's an issue with the CYBERPOWER unit. It should not be interrupting power like that AFAIK.

I suspect the CYBERPOWER unit is overly aggressive in starting to limit power (how?) when it detects a sudden surge such as the PC speaker amplifier drawing power.

Once the HD6 speakers are on the power likely doesn't vary so quickly.

Or, the way it shapes the sinewave (EMI filtration) may be affected by the power draw sudden increase such that the sinewave is INCORRECT for the monitor's use... every AC adapter varies in how pure a sinewave must be to work.

Either way, it seems certain to me it's an issue with the CYBERPOWER device.

MENBOONG

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Ok i don't know enough about electronics to understand some of what you said lol but i'll try unplugging and plugging in the various devices directly to the wall to see if the issue still exists also with the A5+ i forgot to mention had static noise with no input connected.