[SOLVED] Surge protector limiting power to gaming pc?

Aug 16, 2020
We had a small power cut afew days back so i panicked and decided to buy this for my gaming PC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P2GW7MG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is probably a really stupid question but will this stop my PC from getting the "juice" it needs to function properly, in opposed to being plugged directly into the wall? I genuinely have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to voltage and surge protectors etc so any help would be massively appreciated! I use the computer for hours daily to game and stream etc.

My GPU/CPU/PSU specs are
Intel(R) Core i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00 GHz
32GM RAM
EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 ULTRA 11G
700W be quiet! PPower 11 CM

If you need any more info in order to make an informed answer just let me know and ill get back to you right away!

Cheers!

Solution
No. The surge protector will not stop the PC from getting the "juice" it needs.

Not a stupid question because in some situations using a surge protector along with a UPS or daisy chained surge protectors can be problematic.

However, like most things, the quality of the surge protector is important.

Belkin has a good name and I have used similar products in the past. However, I have gotten away from the direct outlet protection because the surge protector blocks one of the outlets.

I prefer a strip type surge protector that has additional outlets and can be more favorably placed.

One thing to remember is that the surge protector will "wear out". It can only absorb so much extra energy (Joules) before its' effectiveness is...

Ralston18

Titan
No. The surge protector will not stop the PC from getting the "juice" it needs.

Not a stupid question because in some situations using a surge protector along with a UPS or daisy chained surge protectors can be problematic.

However, like most things, the quality of the surge protector is important.

Belkin has a good name and I have used similar products in the past. However, I have gotten away from the direct outlet protection because the surge protector blocks one of the outlets.

I prefer a strip type surge protector that has additional outlets and can be more favorably placed.

One thing to remember is that the surge protector will "wear out". It can only absorb so much extra energy (Joules) before its' effectiveness is gone.

Theoretically its effectiveness is gone when the little green "Protected" LED goes out.

Protection seems to be a low 306 Joules.

Reference:

https://www.kattekelsen.com/home-ac...e-protected-plug-adapter-with-usb-p-4877.html

If your area has many power problems: surges, outages, brownouts, then the Belkin may not be up to the job and/or last long.

Google "surge protectors" for more information and product reviews.

Solution
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for the speedy and informative reply man!!

I'm cool with it occupying a socket to itself for now just because there's nothing else really in the room with my computer that needs plugged that's not already been assigned a socket, plus we stay in a new build so there is loads of sockets in all the rooms, but i may look into a strip down the line if i end up adding more appliances etc.

As far as regular power outs go, in our area they are super rare, i just didn't want to take the risk of leaving my computer totally unprotected, knowing my luck we'd get one a year and that one would blow my PSU haha! So as long as its not going to effect performance and it'll give me decent protection etc i'm happy with it.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
306 joules of protection is like wearing a tshirt on a storm.

most of the reviews out there are just a copy/paste of the product's website.

this review is actually very helpfull because they really tested the products with surges. You would be surprised how most of the powerbars did not protect anything