Question Surge protector on light flickering question

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hello 😊

Question about surge protector.
I have a brennenstuhl ecoline with 4 outlets. One orange light for the switch and one orange light where it stand protection on.

The protection on light is flickering.
What could it mean? Could it be bad to using it or not?

Thanks for advices!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello 😊

Question about surge protector.
I have a brennenstuhl ecoline with 4 outlets. One orange light for the switch and one orange light where it stand protection on.

The protection on light is flickering.
What could it mean? Could it be bad to using it or not?

Thanks for advices!
It is hard to say. BUT, when in doubt, throw it out. The cost of a replacement is much lower than the cost of replacing damaged hardware that isn't protected.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Yes i see.

Tried to find out and someone mean the type of bulb could easily start to flicker, and that it could still work until it goes off.

Strange thining it havent been used for more then a year and we havent any surge from Lightning. Would think the power light would struggle too if it had a surge? Or the protection light going dark? Is it a way to find out if it had any issues if i open it up before trashing it?

Only thing that could happened a couple times is power spike from a power outage. But usual the surge protectors take 1000 joul to be done? How many joul could it be from the power spike that happens when the power is lost in the house and when it comes back on?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Yes i see.

Tried to find out and someone mean the type of bulb could easily start to flicker, and that it could still work until it goes off.

Strange thining it havent been used for more then a year and i dont think it had any surges. Would think the power light would struggle too if it had a surge? Or the protection light going dark? Is it a way to find out if it had any issues if i open it up before trashing it?

I will follow the advice and pick up a new one tomorrow. It is ok to use it on other devices that dosnt need the extra protection?
Surge protectors fail "open", meaning they vaporize when they fail. So it should be OK to use it for non-critical devices.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Good to know Kanewolf.

Still wonder how it could fail so quick without any lightningstrike. As i said maby the power have got a spike maximum 1-2 times when power went off in the house and it cause spikes when power comes back on. A surge protector should take many joule before its not in any use anymore. How much joules could a power outage cause?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Only thing that could happened a couple times is power spike from a power outage. But usual the surge protectors take 1000 joul to be done?
Still wonder how it could fail so quick without any lightningstrike.

Multiple surges and constant voltage dips can also wear down a MOV, oh, and a $20 strip certainly won't be able to protect anything against a direct lightning hit, if you send just 30A through the wires those have they'll burn to a crisp in seconds, now imagine 30kA.
If violent storms are common where you live simply unplug the computer and ethernet cable.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Yes i see, we have a bigger filter in the fuseboks to filter most of a lightning strike.

This idea with surge protector stripe was more ment for when the power could go off and if it power back on again and cause a spike if im not home to pull out the cables on the electinic items like pc and tv. Would the surge protector do that job?

For Lightning strike i always plug it out if i see it is on the way. I doubt anything out there could save anything from lightning strike?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Yes i see, we have a bigger filter in the fuseboks to filter most of a lightning strike.

This idea with surge protector stripe was more ment for when the power could go off and if it power back on again and cause a spike if im not home to pull out the cables on the electinic items like pc and tv. Would the surge protector do that job?

For Lightning strike i always plug it out if i see it is on the way. I doubt anything out there could save anything from lightning strike?
That should do it, however there's a better option for that case, a surge protector with a delay timer. If there's a tiny brownout whatever is plugged into it shuts off but doesn't gets power until 30 seconds after

Here's an example for 120V:
https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Protector-Ortis-Appliances-Abnormalities/dp/B09BN44ZPZ

A massive air blast circuit breaker, but you can't fit that in your room, better unplug the PC ^^