Surge Protector vs Earthing

AliMickey

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
So, as the title suggests, i have this powerboard that says it is earthed. What does this mean and how does this compare to surge protectors. Thanks

Solution
Every power strip should be grounded, that's why the plug has 3 prongs. If there is a surge it's still flowing to your psu which may handle it (possibly blowing its fuse) or just blow which could take out other parts. A surge protector is supposed to stop that surge before it hits your components.

kanewolf

Titan
"earthing" or "grounding" for us yanks, means that there is an independent path to ground. It is primarily intended to protect people not equipment. Surge protectors are intended to be sacrificial devices that protect more expensive equipment plugged into them. They have devices that will specifically fail if a large voltage is encountered. Hopefully saving the equipment plugged into them.

Every power strip should be grounded, that's why the plug has 3 prongs. If there is a surge it's still flowing to your psu which may handle it (possibly blowing its fuse) or just blow which could take out other parts. A surge protector is supposed to stop that surge before it hits your components.

Solution

AliMickey

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016

hmm I see, that's the best explanation on the WWW. so i have this powerstrip and there are two lights on it. one says grounded and one says protected. I'm guessing that this is a surge protector. what would happen if i was to extend that by connecting another non-protected powerboard to one of the ports? Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Your second power strip would be protected by the MOVs (as identified by @Flying Head). You run the risk of overloading the first strip because you have added 6 or 8 additional outlets. If you are adding low power devices, LCD monitors, speakers, etc it shouldn't be an issue.

AliMickey

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016

this is what the strips will be used for.
the protected one has 4 outlets and. A MacBook Pro will be connected for charging, an Xbox 360 on standby (Used occaisonaly), a 550w Bronze 80+ PSU and a second non protected outlet consisting of a iPhone + Apple Watch charger, Nintendo 3DS charger, a second laptop charger used everyday for 2 hours or so. is this fine

kanewolf

Titan
It shouldn't be an issue with the loads you describe.

There are some good "tear down" articles on Tom's articles. Some are UPSs and some are power strip/surge protectors. Take a look at a number of the power strips. See what is good and what is no-so-good in the construction of surge supressors.

AliMickey

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016

i have this belkin one at home. http://www.cx.com.au/cxProducts/BV104020au2M-1.jpg is it fine. and should i plug the 550w into the power board or directly to the outlet?