Surge Protectors and Batteries? VA vs Watts?

truthseekerowner

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
I was researching a little about getting an UPS that protects my system and give me battery life for my new 800 watts psu computer. So what should i get? VA? And do i need higher wattage than my psu watts to work at full? I was thinking on getting a cyberpower 1500 va 900 watts ups but 160 is kinda too much?

Solution
I am not a believer in cheaping out on a UPS. A larger UPS gives you more run time. Instead of 1 - 5 min, you get 10 to 15. That is plenty of time to choose to shutdown. It also gives margin for your monitor and maybe network hardware.

kanewolf

Titan
Although your power supply could supply UP TO 800W it is unlikely that you are using that much. Check with one of the power supply estimator websites. Your actual usage is probably 300 to 400W.
A more expensive UPS will give you more run-time on battery and will have a USB interface to signal the computer to cleanly shutdown before the battery is exhausted. Just like power supplies, UPS is not a good place to "cheap out".

kanewolf

Titan
I am not a believer in cheaping out on a UPS. A larger UPS gives you more run time. Instead of 1 - 5 min, you get 10 to 15. That is plenty of time to choose to shutdown. It also gives margin for your monitor and maybe network hardware.

Solution