Surge protectors causing current in external ports

xmark123

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
As the title says, surge protectors cause current to flow in USB ports, the ethernet port, etc. When I tried to insert a disc in my external disc drive I touched the metal part in the middle (the spinning part) and got shocked. So I tried connecting my computer directly to the outlet and the problem was fixed. I bought another surge protector and the problem persists. WTF? The very irony though.. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Thank you in advance.

xmark123

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I mentioned in the opening post (OP?) that the problem disappeared when I connected the PC directly to the outlet. Current only flows through the ports when either of the surge protectors are connected.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

An effective surge protector works by connecting a surge current to earth ground. That is completely and electrically different from the human safety ground in a wall receptacle. Human safety ground means no electricity should be felt in any part.

Shocks would be due to a defective safety ground. That receptacle tester can only report some safety ground defects - cannot report something as good. Apparently a surge protector, that does not claim to protect from destructive surges (ie no earth ground), has also compromised a human safety ground.