Surprise Announcements From Valve, Oculus, Google At Vision Summit 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're still waiting for HL2- Ep3 as well... That story is still incomplete. Come on Gabe... Freeman needs his closure so he can rest for a bit.

toddybody

Distinguished
Huge props to Valve for (IMO) bringing PC gaming to the masses...no one can doubt Steam's leading force and influence. Props to Valve for supporting the growing Linux gaming community...Props to Valve for their investment and focus on quality VR.

But let's be honest, they stopped caring about their franchise fans a long time ago. Valve is more committed to their ecosystem (and it's revenue) than they ever were to developing games. That really depresses me, because HL2 is 1 of 3 titles (WarCraft2, StarCraft) that put the "PC Gaming" bug in my brain. The delay on HL3/HL2 ep 3 is literally a slap in the face to the community that made Valve what they are today.

Appreciate what they've done for PC gaming, but I have to be honest in saying that they care more about Steam/SteamOS/SteamMachine/SteamController/Link/Vive revenue than game development. Makes me sad.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
VR is all fine and dandy Gabe but for the love of the Freeman where is my Half Life 3?

I still feel like just, one day, without any announcement or promotion of any kind, suddenly, Half-Life 3 will just appear on Steam.

but only for a few people with horrible bandwidth so they cant steam it for a couple of weeks, just to tease the hell out of everyone.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
VR is too expensive and too complicated. Lower de specs of the PC & obtain profit on games, not hardware.
Dude the price of the hardware does not define the 'profit'... They have said they are selling the CV1 at almost exactly their cost. It seems you are interested in 'crappy VR' for that there is Google Cardboard which is more than adequate for the uses you seem to be interested in. There is a market for the many of us who are interested in a high quality experience.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
VR is too expensive and too complicated. Lower de specs of the PC & obtain profit on games, not hardware.
Dude the price of the hardware does not define the 'profit'... They have said they are selling the CV1 at almost exactly their cost. It seems you are interested in 'crappy VR' for that there is Google Cardboard which is more than adequate for the uses you seem to be interested in. There is a market for the many of us who are interested in a high quality experience.

xHopesFall,
Not sure what the FPS will be, but Oculus Rift is targeting 90FPS because people get nauseous at lower resolutions (because you move your head around it has to update quicker).

If they target 90FPS on the PS4, and drive more pixels than an HDTV then I'm curious to see what the quality will be like.

If they don't target 90FPS I'm curious to see if people get sick.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

If the required specs where lower. Games would look terrible and more users would get motion sickness. Less people buying more, and better games is significantly better than more people getting VR, hating it and forcing it to die.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think they'll be limited by their HDMI implementation, which is probably 1.4. I think it can't do more than 60 fps per eye. At least, in their stated 1080p resolution.

I think VR on PS4 might be a rather niche thing. If VR succeeds, generally, then it'll certainly hasten the arrival of the PS 5. That will not only enable them to upgrade the GPU, but also to add latency-reducing features like freesync.

Status
Not open for further replies.