Question Surprise Overheating

Jul 23, 2019
I have been playing games on my Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming ( https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?view=configurations ) for almost a year as of right now and as it naturally has poor cooling I undervolt it using intels tuning tool to -0.165v (its maximum safe), as well as putting games on high priority with process hacker, I also play all games on minimum settings and optimised nvidia settings according to multiple tutorials. However recently after both microsoft and nvidia put out a new update on the same day I will now heat up to 95 degrees celcius after five minutes of overwatch or rainbow six siege, optimised and on minimum settings. I have had to stop playing completely as blue screen crashes from 100 degrees celsius terrify me. I have updated and redownloaded all my drivers as well as resetting and trying all nvidia optimisations. I am very worried about my computer and have no clue whats going wrong.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This machine was designed, from scratch, as a gaming machine and has cooling that's far more aggressive than your average laptop.

It is a mistake to start diddling under the hood and doing things like undervolting, etc. The number of factors that the design engineers consider is far more extensive than any end user can.

If you are able to put things back to "out of the box" state and work from there that would be a good starting point.

Jul 23, 2019
After having these problems I sent the machine to the Dell workshop and they said that there were no problems and that they would reset it, it continued to overheat after the sent it back 'factory new' until i undervolted it...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The following is written without a trace of snark directed at you, personally: A gaming computer that overheats when playing games, and when virtually new, is defective.

I would check your warranty terms and see if you have a full year warranty. If it's been to a Dell authorized service provider, and they reset everything, and it still overheated you have every reason to declare it a lemon and to demand a replacement under warranty (if it is, in fact, still under warranty).

Jul 23, 2019
That's the thing: I sent it back claiming it was defective and that I wanted a replacement, they said they'd check if it was worthy of replacement. They said it ran perfectly and then sent it back, the problems were not fixed.

TRENDING THREADS