News Surprise! People Are Having Problems With an Optional Windows 10 Up

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I swear people act as if 10 is the only one with issues ever. I guess people forget how bad XP was pre-SP2 or the patches that caused 7 many issues as well.
The difference is that SP2 came out only a couple years after XP's release, but we're already on like year 5 of Windows 10.

I'm a late adopter and didn't even install XP until after SP2. I waited until a fair bit after SP1 to hit Win7.

Most people just want stability from their OS, but MS is falling short.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
bit_user, no, they are not. Remember: You are getting basically a new refreshed OS every single year from MIcrosoft now. So Windows 10 today is more like Windows XP Service Pack 12!
Time to admit that there are going to be issues found and corrected, with most issues coming from... what now? Crappy drivers from the device manufacturers. Just like was the case 20 years ago.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
bit_user, no, they are not. Remember: You are getting basically a new refreshed OS every single year from MIcrosoft now. So Windows 10 today is more like Windows XP Service Pack 12!
No, it's not. It's like getting Windows 15. I don't want Windows 15. I want Windows 10 SP5. I don't care about whatever new features and functionality they want to cram down my throat (mostly to enable this or that cloud service they'd also like to sell me) - I was fine with Win7, except I understand they can't support it forever.

Time to admit that there are going to be issues found and corrected,
Time to admit that Microsoft has taken control out of users hands. They don't let us pay for a version without their spyware (unless we pay mega-$$$ for Enterprise edition) and they don't give us a mature and stable baseline for those of us who don't want anything fancy from our OS and mainly value stability.

Reactions: panathas
D

Deleted member 14196

So go use Linux or some other OS. I’m tired of all the complaining personally.

I’ve been using windows 10 since it came out and it’s been the best operating system ever. It’s all we use at work and nobody’s having issues on hundreds of machines. The complaining is pure bollocks

Most people here having issues are either too stupid to make it work properly or they’re doing something to it to screw it up.

The difference is that SP2 came out only a couple years after XP's release, but we're already on like year 5 of Windows 10.

I'm a late adopter and didn't even install XP until after SP2. I waited until a fair bit after SP1 to hit Win7.

Most people just want stability from their OS, but MS is falling short.

7 Had patches that came out after SP1 that caused issues for some people, not all. Just like this.

There is no such thing as a perfectly stable OS and unless people are OK with never getting a patch to fix and exploit or other issue there never will be.

People are free to keep using 7. The problem is they will then complain that the OS has holes and exploits and be fending off massive amounts of attacks and viruses that would be patched in a current OS.

No, it's not. It's like getting Windows 15. I don't want Windows 15. I want Windows 10 SP5. I don't care about whatever new features and functionality they want to cram down my throat (mostly to enable this or that cloud service they'd also like to sell me) - I was fine with Win7, except I understand they can't support it forever.

Time to admit that Microsoft has taken control out of users hands. They don't let us pay for a version without their spyware (unless we pay mega-$$$ for Enterprise edition) and they don't give us a mature and stable baseline for those of us who don't want anything fancy from our OS and mainly value stability.

The user has never had that much control on Windows to begin with. It has always been a middle ground OS between a custom Linux/Unix OS (full) and Mac OS (near none). They have some control over basic things but never on major things, at least since Windows NT.

My only point to it is there will be patches and sometimes issues will happen for some people but the way the author writes this piece its as if this issue affects every single person. I have near 400 10 machines on my network and have yet to have any of these issues written about in articles.

Reactions: USAFRet
Mar 3, 2020
Windows 10 users have reportedly encountered various issues after installing the optional KB4535996 up.

Surprise! People Are Having Problems With an Optional Windows 10 Up : Read more
Okay, new to this forum and how to post a new topic..see how this works

My concern is about M$ latest update. Long time user within M$ operating systems and history goes back to XP age. This is about legacy naming and nothing else and migration into Win10

What I discovered during latest update. This folder c:\inet\wwwroot on my Win10 (I introduced it my self for legacy support) suddenly disappeared. A whole lot of applications I have depends on this folder and migration. It was there prior to the update but when I woke up this morning everything was gone as well as the folder itself. Wonder why .. okay nothing in it with respect to MIIS and XP but a whole lot of personal photo albums went away.

How dare M$ delete a whole folder ? Anyone having the same observations ?

How I suddenly came to hate M$

Reactions: bit_user
D

Deleted member 14196

how dare MS remove it's own directory for IIS!! how ridiculous you sound. why are you keeping persona stuff in the webroot folder?

ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS USER ERROR AND USERS DOING SILLY THINGS, then getting mad if ms does something to folders it has control over.

do you think it;s a good idea to store your personal photos (without verified backups) in an IIS webroot folder? if you hate them so much, then you can use Linux or ChromeOS

7 Had patches that came out after SP1 that caused issues for some people, not all. Just like this.

There is no such thing as a perfectly stable OS and unless people are OK with never getting a patch to fix and exploit or other issue there never will be.

People are free to keep using 7. The problem is they will then complain that the OS has holes and exploits and be fending off massive amounts of attacks and viruses that would be patched in a current OS.

The user has never had that much control on Windows to begin with. It has always been a middle ground OS between a custom Linux/Unix OS (full) and Mac OS (near none). They have some control over basic things but never on major things, at least since Windows NT.

My only point to it is there will be patches and sometimes issues will happen for some people but the way the author writes this piece its as if this issue affects every single person. I have near 400 10 machines on my network and have yet to have any of these issues written about in articles.
well put.i upgraded to windows 10 on the day it became available and not once has an update caused me any grief.it is,in my opinion,the best windows os yet.every time ms came out with a new os we hear the complaining,its just been longer with win 10.lol.also,in all the time i have had it on my computer i have not even contemplated a fresh install.

Mar 3, 2020
how dare MS remove it's own directory for IIS!! how ridiculous you sound. why are you keeping persona stuff in the webroot folder?

ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS USER ERROR AND USERS DOING SILLY THINGS, then getting mad if ms does something to folders it has control over.

do you think it;s a good idea to store your personal photos (without verified backups) in an IIS webroot folder? if you hate them so much, then you can use Linux or ChromeOS
You played this differently ! I am not a simple user, I played this card with photos in this folder and you seem to fall in this pitfall !

What I am addressing, how dare M$ delete an entire folder? I have my backups

Address the severity in this respect

Mar 3, 2020
Okay, take your point. But what about legacy programs that relies on historical naming. No control. You seem stil not to be up to the point. So in hell, what is M$ reasons for removing directories. I see no reason for this.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, take your point. But what about legacy programs that relies on historical naming. No control. You seem stil not to be up to the point. So in hell, what is M$ reasons for removing directories. I see no reason for this.
What specific legacy programs are you using that rely on that /webroot/ folder?
That webroot folder is related to IIS.

Which Win 10 version are you using?

Mar 3, 2020
The legacy programs I have and source code (I am a developer) .. full control. But thanks to error reporting built into these programs I see the reason for not functioning. This are minor tasks.

But again.. if C:\intet\wwwroot did contain elements of IIS .. why did M$ not examine elements of IIS etc. within folder individually according to a scheme and delete them specifically instead of removing the entire folder.

This is a question I intend to ask M$ .. a fortress

Mar 3, 2020
not storing code in wwwroot .. you are wrong.

Pay attention to this, I take actions and storing vital code in different locations .. this is about deployment .. sorry to observer of you misunderstanding roles ..

Mar 3, 2020
Hi there

Onto somthing else .. VirtualBox. The great inventions in our hemisphere .. running OS as a task. I have an AMD threadripper 16 cores CPU (logical 32 CPU and hyperthreading)/64GB. How fast this wonderful developement area within the data has progressed. Running different OS'es as a task ..

Juat wonderful !

USAFRet

Titan
Hi there

Onto somthing else .. VirtualBox. The great inventions in our hemisphere .. running OS as a task. I have an AMD threadripper 16 cores CPU (logical 32 CPU and hyperthreading)/64GB. How fast this wonderful developement area within the data has progressed. Running different OS'es as a task ..

Juat wonderful !
Yes, VirtualBox.

My system on a typical day:
G7Ro10y.png

Linux, Windows, WindowsServer...

Mar 3, 2020
Ok, am a viking here .. history goes back to 1985 and M$ did not support for øæå ..our peculiar characters in our country. Okay.. these are characters in Norway and at that time M$ had no good solution until codepage came along. and consumed an extra 180kbytes Remember .. the barrier was at that time 640kbyes as to addressing space. So we developed a TRS program (terminate and stay resident program within MSDOS as an operating program at that time). And a significant income followed.

Okay, time to go to bed now :=)

Mar 3, 2020
Ok, my entusiastic approach to VirtualBox and on tip to going to bed for now. Vikings must still follow the rule !

Within VirtualBox, you can .. let us call it for now and not running the master machine, enabling cloning of a repository as to ROM (read only) by chosing and select clone ¨'Cloned Link' (talking now in context Oracle Virtual..)

So the spawned clone and up and runnoing lives in it's own territory and with respect to R/W and apps what VirtualBox takes care of is to diverge writes to an intermediate disk

Ok, stop now .. greetings from Norway

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Microsoft is not only patching Windows 10 with fixes and hardware enablement. They're also using it to further their cloud and other business strategies.

That's an artificial choice they forced us into. I want an OS with security fixes, but not continuously rolling out new features. When I decide that I want/need new features, I want to be able to decide when to upgrade.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Linux doesn't do this. If you uninstall a RPM and you modify some of its files or put stuff in one of its directories, it won't delete them.

The point I'm making (because I know you're going to throw it back in my face and tell me to go use Linux and shut up about Windows) is that it's neither obvious or the only option for Windows to behave in that way. Maybe stop reflexively blaming the user and don't assume that Microsoft is always right.

Mar 3, 2020
Hi there

The viking is back

About this on deleting c:\inet\wwwroot. I discovered this on, should I say on my 'main frame' workstation and Win10 professional version but not on some laptops..stray cats with Win10 home edition :) Mostly I use laptops and to run them as a 'thin client' using RDP and dial into the workstation. I frequently go to Spain and dial home but this paradigm seem to be out of scope now for a moment and corona times.

Beyond the scope on being centric to OS and a new paradigm, consider this HTML and javascript and even indulge into multicore utilisation within binary code and modern net browser supporting this. A paradigm that will last for a thousand years not depending on OS'es. Writing code that runs everywhere. We are finally there.

Cheers !

Mar 3, 2020
To complete this story. The severity on this removing a whole directory and nothing on reporting the actions done by MS and clarify the actions and compromising security, MS should leave a statement on actions done and quarantined.. you can find your valuable content here, say C:\ quarantined\inetpub ..

I have worked with MS technology for a life time and successfully so ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts