[SOLVED] Surprised at the price drop, could the price drop even more later on ?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi. I just came home from Christmas shopping today at a large mall.

as a routine, passed by the gpu stores. Surprised that the MSI Ventus RTX 3060 is now only 23000 pesos (approx 410$) brand new with box and warranty, last time I checked February this same year it was still 29000 pesos (approx 520$).

it was so tempting to buy at that price. But I only has 5000 pesos in pocket meant for buying christmas gifs and spare usb's.

and I saw something bizarre in another shop, that their RTX 3060 are still being sold at pandemic prices of 38000 pesos (approx 680$) who would buy these when the rival shop only 20 feet or so away sells at 23000? lol

lastly, AMD cards are nowhere to be found. Every store I look there is green - Nvidia boxes on display on shelves.,

Question: what do people think. Would 30 series prices continue to drop in the next few months?

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution
They'll likely continue to 'normalize', although too much of a reduction (beyond sales) are probably unlikely on the lower end, until or unless AMD have a competitor.

As for the differences between stores, it may just be one* put their order in to the distributors when price were high(er) and one have a newer shipment at the lower prices.

*Feasible, both could have older stock that cost them more - yet one is looking for revenue/cashflow, and the other is holding out for profit.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They'll likely continue to 'normalize', although too much of a reduction (beyond sales) are probably unlikely on the lower end, until or unless AMD have a competitor.

As for the differences between stores, it may just be one* put their order in to the distributors when price were high(er) and one have a newer shipment at the lower prices.

*Feasible, both could have older stock that cost them more - yet one is looking for revenue/cashflow, and the other is holding out for profit.

Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
fair enough. Thanks for the opinion.

btw, this is the gpu

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3060-VENTUS-2X-12G-OC

brand new with box, and a promotional store warranty -on top of other warranties the card has- that it can be returned (at their judgment) for replacement if something goes wrong within a week.

one more question: is 410$ a fair price for it?

gonna build up funds. Could probably get it by February 2023, if it does not get sold out by then. Will pair it with my 10600K pc.

Last edited:

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Nobody really knows. On one hand, the sellers may try lowering the price to get rid of 3xxx stock and sell more 4xxx.

On the other, the increased demand for 3xxx (because 4xxx are obscenely priced) will raise the price!

Reactions: Tac 25
What to watch out for though is that when for example they start releasing 4060's that they may cut production of 3060 class cards and phase them out. So if you wait, you may get a window where they briefly go cheaper and then are gone as retailers empty stock. This happened a bit at black friday with higher end last gen cards like the 6800xt and the 6900xt for example. Now to find some of those cards is more expensive if you can find new ones at all as they are releasing the new generation.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Barty1884

yeah, it's Phlippine peso. Gpu have become easy to find again. The only thing is, when shopping.. it's best to check out all the stores in the mall. As there could be huge price difference, as I've shown in the first post.

no rush in getting the 3060, since the reliable 3050 here at home still plays all the games I own comfortably at 1080p, on a 27 inch monitor. Two minor reasons for wanting the 3060 - first reason.. getting it would allow the 3050 to be transferred to my backup pc, replacing the 1050 ti there. Second reason, is simply to have another gpu that can ray trace. Gathering funds to buy the 3060 would only actually start in Jan. Money gathered this December would be for paying credit card bills and other debts. Want to start the new year with no debts. hehe :)

Last edited: