Question Surround-sound headset (for movies) ?

Oct 26, 2022
Looking for a computer headset that allows a surround experience. I'm not (!) a gamer but like to e.g. watch movies on Netflix etc. Many are in 4K (I have a 4K screen) and on a home audio system they allow real surround on multi speaker setup, but I'd (also) like (some of) that on a headset connected to my (Windows) PC.
I know some headsets are using more small speakers to do real surround but these are rare I understood and the quality isn't always great (or they are high priced) [let's call these: multi-channel in >> multi-channel out].
I also know there are zillions of 'surround' headsets that simulate good surround out of any stereo (2 channel) input signal [2-channel in >> simulated multi-channel out].
With the movies I stream being able to provide separated surround audio signals already from the source, I'd like to find out if there are headsets that actually USE that information to create the surround experience [multi-channel in >> simulated multi-channel out].
To me, this seems a logical question but I'm anything but an expert here so I'm hoping to learn a bit more here and maybe get some advice on what headset I could consider for 2023 (not 'head-fi' quality but good overal with great surround experience for watching movies on a PC). Anyone?

Oct 26, 2022
there are plenty of virtual surround headphones, they can do stereo -> virtual 7.1 or 7.1 -> 7.1 either by software (works with any headphone) or through hardware (usb dongle/transmitter)
so it just depends on your budget
logitech G533 which has hardware DTS headphone:X 7.1 costs 70bucks
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G533-Wireless-Gaming-Headset/dp/B01MXE0FKC
Right, and this "stereo -> virtual 7.1 or 7.1 -> 7.1" is exactly NOT what I was asking (and the reason for my post in the first place).
I'm looking for "7.1. -> virtual 7.1" as I tried to indicate...

Right, and this "stereo -> virtual 7.1 or 7.1 -> 7.1" is exactly NOT what I was asking (and the reason for my post in the first place).
I'm looking for "7.1. -> virtual 7.1" as I tried to indicate...
you could go with razer tiamat 7.1, but to get that "virtual" surround from stereo sources, you will need some hardware for it...AVR would come cheap at his point, PC market abondoned this idea some time ago as it is cheaper to do it with two drivers

Oct 26, 2022
you could go with razer tiamat 7.1, but to get that "virtual" surround from stereo sources, you will need some hardware for it...AVR would come cheap at his point, PC market abondoned this idea some time ago as it is cheaper to do it with two drivers
I apologize but somehow it seems I'm (again) not explaining myself well... So here's a third attempt: I'm looking to get a headset with TWO speakers (one for each ear) and get surround simulated (that is the virtual 7.1 output I'm looking for).
The INPUT (from the PC) should use ALL channels available (so e.g. 7.1 as real INPUT) to simulate the two-speaker surround sound in the headset. I think that most headsets use the STEREO two-channel source to 'invent' the surround 'placement / representation' created by the two-speaker headset. I am looking for a headset that uses the separation that is already available as that makes most sense.

Oct 26, 2022
ah ok, thats simple, any hardware based (usb dongle) 7.1 virtual headphone reports themself as 7.1 speakers...so no issues there
Closer, but I still don't get it... I understand that a 7.1 virtual headphone might report as such. But does that mean that if, let's say Netflix, plays om my PC it provides 7.1 to the headset or will it provide two channel (stereo) audio only to the headset?
(and yes, I know the headset will take what it gets and will create 7.1 virtual. But will it use 7.1 input for that or 2.0?)

Apologize for my continued push but I'm trying to understand (and I do appreciate your patience ;-))

Closer, but I still don't get it... I understand that a 7.1 virtual headphone might report as such. But does that mean that if, let's say Netflix, plays om my PC it provides 7.1 to the headset or will it provide two channel (stereo) audio only to the headset?
(and yes, I know the headset will take what it gets and will create 7.1 virtual. But will it use 7.1 input for that or 2.0?)

Apologize for my continued push but I'm trying to understand (and I do appreciate your patience ;-))
well i have hardware based virtual 7.1 headphones (hyperx cloud revolver 7.1), with two drivers, one for each ear

by default, they are set as stereo speakers, virtualisation disabled
it has button to enable 7.1 virtualisation, but windows doesnt know that it can handle 7.1, but you can also use software virtualisation
y4El7RL.png

now switching it to 7.1, test sounds does play on all virtual speakers including subwoofer
software virtualisation is gone (windows sonic/dolby atmos headphones from stereo audio sources), hardware virtualisation still works same

i did run some random video with 5.1 dts codec
running it in stereo or plain 7.1, i dont hear much difference, but it also doesnt sound as stereo......but once i press hardware virtualisation button....well thats another story...sound goes all around me :)

I apologize but somehow it seems I'm (again) not explaining myself well... So here's a third attempt: I'm looking to get a headset with TWO speakers (one for each ear) and get surround simulated (that is the virtual 7.1 output I'm looking for).
The INPUT (from the PC) should use ALL channels available (so e.g. 7.1 as real INPUT) to simulate the two-speaker surround sound in the headset. I think that most headsets use the STEREO two-channel source to 'invent' the surround 'placement / representation' created by the two-speaker headset. I am looking for a headset that uses the separation that is already available as that makes most sense.
Dolby Atmos for Headphones and any wireless headphone you want.

Reactions: kerberos_20