Question Surround sound not being recognised by Win 11

Hakak33n

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2017
A couple of days ago Win 11 decided that my 5.1 speaker setup wasn't really there.

So I went down to stereo, when I run the "Playing Audio Troubleshooter" (that is about to be retired) it can solve the problem automatically and on a test all 5 speakers and sub sound off (meaning I can hear them all).
Once it has worked once, something in windows reaches forth and disables it again.

If I run the "Configure speakers" I am able to select 5.1 but again the system refuses to recognise the choice, when I go into Properties on the sound device the "Jack Information" only shows LR (Green) Rear Panel 3.5 mm Jack.

If I disconnect and reconnect a cable the system will ask me to confirm what I just plugged in, I will choose "Speaker output > Center/subwoofer" and the system will take it and continue ignoring them.

I have updated, uninstalled and reinstalled (&updated) audio Drivers.

Realtek 6.0.9689.1

I have Realtek Audio Console 1.51.331.0 on which I can see all 6 speakers but only hear from Stereo.

Hakak33n

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2017
Dism and sfc both reporting the system is perfectly fine.
I generally have Windows updates off, so both histories are mostly of windows update failures, no audio failures listed.

Ralston18

Titan
Maybe a windows update, or some combination of sequential updates is needed to fix the problem.

I.e. A windows update fixes a problem but breaks something else. Microsoft quietly fixes that first problem as part of some following update.