[SOLVED] Surveillance hard drive any good for storing movies and game backup data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Found somebody willing to sell me a Seagate Surveillance 10TB SATA 3 6GB/s 7200RPM.

Since I was looking around for something to replace my movies drive, I just need to know from somebody who knows if this would serve my purpose.

ST10000VE0008 {As far as I can see it's a model from 2021.}

I see it's got great copy speed @ 250MB/s, much better than what I have now @220MB/s.

And don't forget to mention that it's 5 times larger, than the drive it's going to be replacing: Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 3 6GB/s 7200RPM.

Last edited:
Solution
It will work no problem.
You'll not see any real difference between "250MB/s " and "220MB/s".

Me, however...I do not buy used hard drives.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
It will work no problem.
You'll not see any real difference between "250MB/s " and "220MB/s".

Me, however...I do not buy used hard drives.
Hey great to hear from you again on this search of mine for a suitable replacement drive.
Well at least it's not a worse or slower drive.

Yes I have also never or don't usually consider buying second hand parts.

But since I have never had a Seagate drive go bad on me yet, and that this possibility is a model from 2021.

The seller also claims the the drive was only in use for 4 months and never again, because the media pc that it was installed in died, so left with the well working parts to sell and this is one part.

Looks real promising to me. I know the purchase would not be ideal and I would have no return or warranty policy, but I need to get a drive that is large and fast pronto.

Got all my movies and data cramped up onto my two remaining mechanical drives right now, cant start with my real upgrade plan yet because of this.

Last edited:

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If the used drive is significantly cheaper, e.g. half the price of the same model purchased brand new, I personally would take a chance and buy it. If the used drive is only slightly cheaper, it's not worth taking the risk, given the lack of warranty.

I use a mixture of hard disks, including Western Digital "Purple" drives which are intended for use in video storage systems. I like the Purple drives because they are CMR/PMR and not SMR. I wouldn't be happy without at least four copies of important files.

I keep important photo files on numerous hard drives in four main towercomputers, plus three multi-disk RAID-Z2 TrueNAS Core servers, plus 25GB Bluray, plus 800GB LTO4 tape.

The beauty of Bluray and LTO tape is the media can be write-protected, making it virtually immune from Ransomware attack. Files stored on hard disk (Internal or External) or in the Cloud, could become encrypted if you're very unlucky.

If you do buy the 10TB drive, run a full surface read scan using something like Hard Disk Sentinel Pro. On a hard disk of this capacity, I'd expect the test to take around 20 hours.

Remember, although the hard disk Transfer Rate may start off at 250MB/s on the outermost tracks, the speed will gradually reduce to 125MB/s on the innermost tracks.

You may also find the transfer rate slower than expected when copying thousands of small files in one session, e.g. low res JPGs. If you copy multiple large files, e.g. 50MB RAW images or video files, the average transfer rate will increase.

Slow copying can be a problem when transferring image files to LTO tape from hard disk. My LTO4 drive requires a constant feed rate of 80MB/s. You might think a hard disk capable of up to 250MB/s would cope easily, but too many small JPGs cause my my LTO4 tape drive to pause briefly every few seconds, partially rewinding the tape in what is termed "shoe shining". For this reason I tend to ZIP or RAR smallJPGs before backing up to tape and use a fast NVMe scratch disk.

Reactions: iTRiP
Status
Not open for further replies.