Question Suspect a faulty PSU, need confirmation.

Feb 7, 2020
Hey everyone! I'm about to buy a new PSU as a believe the one I currently have is -close- to busted, but just in case I wanted to confirm my suspicions here.

Before anything, these are my system's components:
  • GPU EVGA GTX 980
  • MB Asus TUF B360M-E GAMING
  • CPU Intel i5 8400
  • RAM Team DDR4 8GB T-Force DELTA x2 (both have the same brand, model and size, only the frecuency is different. Old one is 2666, new one is 3000).
  • PSU XFX XRT 750w Full Modular.
Everything started a couple months ago when I did a small upgrade to my PC (bought an extra RAM stick and an SSD and did a clean windows 10 install on it). Everything worked perfectly for the first 2 weeks, but out of nowhere my PC would sometimes not turn on unless I cut the power to the PSU for a few seconds (Interestingly before I cut the power the RGB on the ram sticks and on the MB do turn on even if everything else doesn't, so there's definitly somepower going through). Other than that... there really wasn't any other problems, the PC worked perfectly when turned on.

By the way... when I say "sometimes" It was pretty much a 50/50 whether I would get a succesful turn on without having to cutting the power first.

This is the list of things I tried, but the problem persisted:
  • Took everything out (even resit the CPU), gave the case and all the components a good clean with canned air and a brush, and put everything back in.
  • Thought maybe the new RAM stick was the problem so I took it out and left only the old one.
  • Updated BIOS.
  • Bought a new PSU cable (the one i had was pretty old).
  • Thought maybe the problem was related to my case, so I unhooked everything case-related from the MB and tried jump-starting the PC with a screwdriver... and nothing.
  • Cleared CMOS.
  • I swapped any power cables I had an extra of (XFX XTR 750 is fully modular and comes with some extras): SATA, PCI-E and MOLEX.

As the days went on I got more worried as the 50/50 chance I mentioned lowered steadily... Got to the point that almost everytime I had to cut the power before the PC would turn on. It got worst still... Around 2 weeks ago the PC would NOT turn on at all, no matter what I did.

This is when things get complicated: My brother lended me his PC. Got his PSU hooked up to my rig and it turned on perfectly! I thought this pretty much identified my PSU as the problem, but just to be sure I hooked up my supposedly faulty PSU to my brother's PC... AND IT TURNED ON NO PROBLEM! Honestly I was pretty lost... why would my PSU worked perfectly on my brother´s and not in mine? Didn´t make much sense to me, so I tried hooking my PSU back into my PC... and now it works no problem!? I was at a complete loss, but as long as my PC works I guess I was willing to forget all this.

The thing is... after 2 weeks of this "psu temporary swap fix" the problem has come back, again out of complete nowhere. There's one difference tho... I was able to identify that maybe it's not that "the PC doesn't turn on" but instead it just takes a LONG time to even post. Why do I say this? Well today I pressed the on button and like always it didn't turn on, but instead of trying to cut the power I just let the PC be for a while. About 5 minutes after I pressed the on button the PC magically turned on.

So yeah, this is where I am ATM. Seems like a PSU-related problem to me, but just to be sure I wanted other ask over here :)

Thanks everyone!

P.D.: Right now the PC is on and I'm planning on keeping it on until the new PSU arrives (delivery is slow in my country so it could take around 5-6 days)... Could it be dangerous for the other components to keep the PC on with my current PSU?

Feb 7, 2020
yes you remove power cable from front panel and momentary touch the 2 power pins will a little flat screwdriver and see if it start .

Oh god, oh god.

So, let me start by saying that it felt weird that you would ask me to try to jumpstart the PC when I had already said i tried that, but thought "well, he knows a lot more than me, maybe I did it wrong the last time".

Lo and behond: I unhook everything case-related, took out the MB manual again to see which pins i needed to short cut and then it hit me... The last time I jumpstarted the WRONG GOD DAMN PINS!

Just did it with the correct pins and the PC turns on no problem whatsoever! Just to be sure I hooked everything case related and indeed the PC does not turn on. There we have the culprit, all that's left to do is to single out which connector is the faulty one (most likely the PWR one).

@scout_03 My dude, I'm super short on money ATM and was pretty worried about having to buy a new PSU, and you swooped down to me rescue. Thank you so much! I own you a beer!

Feb 7, 2020
Oh god, oh god.

So, let me start by saying that it felt weird that you would ask me to try to jumpstart the PC when I had already said i tried that, but thought "well, he knows a lot more than me, maybe I did it wrong the last time".

Lo and behond: I unhook everything case-related, took out the MB manual again to see which pins i needed to short cut and then it hit me... The last time I jumpstarted the WRONG GOD DAMN PINS!

Just did it with the correct pins and the PC turns on no problem whatsoever! Just to be sure I hooked everything case related and indeed the PC does not turn on. There we have the culprit, all that's left to do is to single out which connector is the faulty one (most likely the PWR one).

@scout_03 My dude, I'm super short on money ATM and was pretty worried about having to buy a new PSU, and you swooped down to me rescue. Thank you so much! I own you a beer!

Hey guys, it seems it was a false alarm. I was able to turn on by just jumpstarting for a a couple times, but today I tried it and had the same problem: LONG time to even post (around 5 minutes after jumpstarting the PC).

TRENDING THREADS