[SOLVED] Suspect PSU issue, looking for suggestions on other tests before I buy another...

May 16, 2020
My PC has been 'losing power' and immedietly rebooting when put under stress, only from video games though not from benchmarks which is strange. It happened occaisonaly with my previous 970 but happens more frequently since I upgraded to my new 2070S. To try and nail down whats causing the problem I have:

• Had a quick clean of dust, particularly round PSU intake.
• Run MemTest - No problems
• Run CPU Benchmark - No Problems
• Run two GPU Benchmarks - No Problems
• Updated Mobo Bios
• Fragged Drives
• Checked Temps - Fine

PC runs fine under low load but when I open a game it lasts an uncertain amount of time, not long, then reboots itself. After running the above tests would you agree that it seems to be a PSU problem , particulary that the PSU cant supply enough power when the GPU or whatever requests more. I have a corsair VS650 which in theory should be enough but maybe its crapping out for whatever reason.

Solution
My PC has been 'losing power' and immedietly rebooting when put under stress, only from video games though not from benchmarks which is strange. It happened occaisonaly with my previous 970 but happens more frequently since I upgraded to my new 2070S. To try and nail down whats causing the problem I have:

• Updated Mobo Bios
• Fragged Drives
• Checked Temps - Fine

PC runs fine under low load but when I open a game it lasts an uncertain amount of time, not long, then reboots itself. After running the above tests would you agree that it seems to be a PSU problem ...

• Updated Mobo Bios
• Fragged Drives
• Checked Temps - Fine

PC runs fine under low load but when I open a game it lasts an uncertain amount of time, not long, then reboots itself. After running the above tests would you agree that it seems to be a PSU problem , particulary that the PSU cant supply enough power when the GPU or whatever requests more. I have a corsair VS650 which in theory should be enough but maybe its crapping out for whatever reason.
The VS series from Corsair are capable, lower budget models when used at a more limited capacity. By that I mean using it for a typical home / office pc and even some light gaming. The VS series are the cheapest model made by Corsair and are not a good choice for a gaming system with a $500 video card.

You should be using a PSU made with higher quality parts that is better able to handle the stress put on it by a demanding gaming pc. Corsair makes some of the finest models available for gaming including the RMx, HX and AX series which of course cost more. If you can afford an RTX 2070 Super you should be able to afford a high quality power supply to pair with it.

Whether or not replacing the PSU corrects your specific issue I think you should consider replacing your current model. If you list the rest of the parts in your build a proper recommendation can be made to determine the best power level for your needs.

Last edited:
Solution
May 16, 2020
The VS series from Corsair are capable, lower budget models when used at a more limited capacity. By that I mean using it for a typical home / office pc and even some light gaming. The VS series are the cheapest model made by Corsair and are not a good choice for a gaming system with a $500 video card.

You should be using a PSU made with higher quality parts that is better able to handle the stress put on it by a demanding gaming pc. Corsair makes some of the finest models available for gaming including the RMx, HX and AX series which of course cost more. If you can afford an RTX 2070 Super you should be able to afford a high quality a power supply to pair with it.

Whether or not replacing the PSU corrects your specific issue I think you should consider replacing your current model. If you list the rest of the parts in your build a proper recommendation can be made to determine the best power level for your needs.
Hmm it has crossed my mind that maybe I should be upgrading the PSU considering ive upgraded everything else. I dont have anything crazy component wise but I do have a couple of extrernal soundcards/audio interfaces stuff like that. Do you think a 750 would be enough?

Hmm it has crossed my mind that maybe I should be upgrading the PSU considering ive upgraded everything else. I dont have anything crazy component wise but I do have a couple of extrernal soundcards/audio interfaces stuff like that. Do you think a 750 would be enough?

You don't need MORE POWER. You need a better PSU. You shouldn't be using a VS Series with a high end graphics card.

A better quality 650W would be fine. Availability due to the plandemic is very bad right now and prices are sky high if you can even find something in stock. This is the best I could find as of today, shipping from overseas and it will cost a bit for it...or you could wait to see what comes up?
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650W