suspected faulty gpu

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
dear friends,

i recently built pc with i7 4670, MSI GAMING SERIES H87-GD43 MOTHERBOARD, MSI GAMING GTX 780Ti GRAPHICS CARD, 16GB CORSAIR 1600 MEMORY, WINDOWS 8.1 OS.

I installed all the proprietary MSI softwares like afterburner, msi gaming app, live update, and msi command center.

In msi command center its detects and shows all the components except my gpu. i installed the latest nvidia drivers but no use. but the nvidia control panel shows all the details about my gpu when i select "show system information". i installed crysis 3 v1.3 and its experiencing crashes after playing about say 30 minutes or so and sometimes has artifacts in some parts of the game. i installed gpu-z and it also detects my gpu and shows all the information. but unfortunately my msi command center cant detect my gpu which seems fussy to me as both my motherboard and gpu are msi gaming series so it should meant to be more compatible with each other.

is this a sign of a faulty gpu and if it is how can i make my idiotic dealer understand that its a faulty gpu and i must get a replacement.

is there any software or ways to pin point a faulty gpu, please advise me.

thanks in advance

Solution

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Uninstall the graphics card drivers through control panel.
Reboot into safe mode and use 'driver sweeper' to remove last remnants. THEN reboot normally and install again.

See if that solves your problem. Who is your 'idiotic dealer' might I ask? And also what is there response to the issues you are having?

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

thanks for the reply,

i installed the latest driver only from the nvidia website. i didnt had to update it as it is the most current version. the installation went smoothly without any issue. no errors were shown. the dealer says that it may be a problem with the game not the graphics card as he says that the nvidia control panel and gpu-z shows correct information about the card and it could be a problem with the msi command center software.

is it necessary to uninstall the driver as i did not uninstall/update/reinstall the driver.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

yes my friend i have the latest version of msi command center v1.0.0.48. it detects my cpu, motherboard, ram but not the gpu. when i click on the gpu tab it shows the same page of ram. im using nvidia latest driver for windows 8.1. i didnt use the driver listed in the msi website as its outdated.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

Reinstall anyway just tp be sure it is not a software issue, then you can contact the dealer to let him/her know what you've done about resolving the issue and seen as software re-installation hasn't solved the problem then it must be hardware related.

You can also do some stress testing to see if the card can cope (use something like furmark or OCCT). These are programs even big companies use to ensure stability in a card.

If you're still getting artifacts, again, recontact the dealer and inform them it is not specific to games and can be related to general heavy usage on the graphics card.

i7470

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

i have googled for downloading furmark but a lot of sites are providing the link. can you advise me which is the official legitimate website to download furmark.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

Most of the websites are fine to download off. I personally used major geeks:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/furmark.html

But any one should be fine.

Solution