[SOLVED] sustained write speeds dip very low (SSD,NVME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I have a question that I can't find an answer to on the internet. Why is it that my transfer of BF5 from my NVME drive to my SSD is hovering around 65. MB/s? It goes up up to 90 sometimes but very rarely and even going to 0 MB/s for a few seconds after hovering at the mid teens. What in the heck is going on? I would expect much higher speeds. Is it the way the file is packed? https://ibb.co/L1LBg5C

Solution
Why are smaller (Looser) files harder for SSD's to process? Nvme I suspect does it better? My understanding of Nvme is it's using the lanes(?) on your motherboard, and it's like a highway, suddenly you have communication going back and forth freely with nvme in contrast to SSD on SATA III that is bottlenecked by the very nature of the cable technology that binds it, choking the data being sent and slowing down dramatically when transferring multiple files. Am I correct in this way of thinking?
Smaller files are the issue for any drive type.
The OS still has to do the same processing to find the next tiny file and start the copy for that.

It happens much faster on an SSD (any SSD type), but still not 'instant'...

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
I have tested and observed moving another game that is packed differently to the SSD at the same time and am still getting mediocre results. Both are at 30 MB/s and dipping as noted before. What could be going on? A driver issue? My Samsung 970 evo plus is all updated running x4.

Game files are notoriously split in to small file packages if you will. Which is a killer for transfer speed. Ad to that that you are transferring to a slower sata drive. I have a Nvme and when I download games the transfer rate is about what you are seeing even with 900mbps internet speed.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
which one is the source, and destination?
what the model of the ssd?

it bottleneck on the slowest component which is the ssd.
The source of the file is my drive file, it's an Nvme with an OS of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I cloned over from the SSD using the included software of my Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500GB Nvme drive. Here are the included links to benchmarks I just performed of both drives.

https://ibb.co/59Wvbj7

The SSD is a Silicon Power 256GB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC Performance Boost SATA III drive. It's 30 bucks on Amazon, a cheap drive to be sure.

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
Game files are notoriously split in to small file packages if you will. Which is a killer for transfer speed. Ad to that that you are transferring to a slower sata drive. I have a Nvme and when I download games the transfer rate is about what you are seeing even with 900mbps internet speed.
Why are smaller (Looser) files harder for SSD's to process? Nvme I suspect does it better? My understanding of Nvme is it's using the lanes(?) on your motherboard, and it's like a highway, suddenly you have communication going back and forth freely with nvme in contrast to SSD on SATA III that is bottlenecked by the very nature of the cable technology that binds it, choking the data being sent and slowing down dramatically when transferring multiple files. Am I correct in this way of thinking?

AndrewCRX

BANNED
Oct 23, 2019
you thinking it wrong. the problem is your SP A55, not the Evo 970 Plus
it can't write fast enough
I'm not blaming the Nvme. So if I got a better quality SSD such as another Samsung but in SSD form, I would have much better performance in respect to file transfer speeds?

USAFRet

Titan
Smaller files are the issue for any drive type.
The OS still has to do the same processing to find the next tiny file and start the copy for that.

It happens much faster on an SSD (any SSD type), but still not 'instant'.

Additionally, any copying to-from different type drives depends on the performance of the slowest device in the chain.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Solution
Aug 1, 2020
i bought today to nvme plextor M9PeGN i have mx500 ssd rto, and ive just test it copy 30gb file of videos or game installer and i have about 500mb/s speed forst but after 5 gb speed is down to about200-250, wtf

Aug 1, 2020
NVMe (Plextor) to SATA III (MX500)...speed is dictated by the slowest device in the chain. The MX500.
i understand how its working but still read speed on mx500 is abnout 500, why copy from ssd to nvme big file i have only 200mb/s? i dont get it, when i copy from slow ssd adata to mx500 ssd i have 500mb/s same file

Status
Not open for further replies.