I have an sv24 which has worked fine for a few years, dual-booting
win2k and linux. I stopped using it for a while, and removed the disk
drive to re-used it. Now I'm trying to use it again, and I did a fresh
install of XP. What I find is that the install works fine, but when
it starts up, almost as soon I do anything, the screen blanks, and the
machine seems dead (eg I can't reboot using ctl-alt-del).

The only change in hardware has been the installation of a different
disk drive. I tried upgrading the BIOS, and that didn't do anything.

What could this be?

AR

a) power supply
b) blown capacitors on the mainboard

"rlyacht" <robt@aya.yale.edu> wrote in message
> I have an sv24 which has worked fine for a few years, dual-booting
> win2k and linux. I stopped using it for a while, and removed the disk
> drive to re-used it. Now I'm trying to use it again, and I did a fresh
> install of XP. What I find is that the install works fine, but when
> it starts up, almost as soon I do anything, the screen blanks, and the
> machine seems dead (eg I can't reboot using ctl-alt-del).
>
> The only change in hardware has been the installation of a different
> disk drive. I tried upgrading the BIOS, and that didn't do anything.
>
> What could this be?

I could try replacing the PS. It's probably not worth replacing the
motherboard ... OTOH, isn't it weird that if it's either of these two
things, that only video would be affected? And it turns out that I
can run in text mode just fine. I can boot off a knoppix CD and run
in text mode ok. Weird....

"AR" <news@no.theconspiracytheory.spam.com.here> wrote in message news:<xf4oc.174$zq2.84@fe39.usenetserver.com>...
> a) power supply
> b) blown capacitors on the mainboard
>
> "rlyacht" <robt@aya.yale.edu> wrote in message
> > I have an sv24 which has worked fine for a few years, dual-booting
> > win2k and linux. I stopped using it for a while, and removed the disk
> > drive to re-used it. Now I'm trying to use it again, and I did a fresh
> > install of XP. What I find is that the install works fine, but when
> > it starts up, almost as soon I do anything, the screen blanks, and the
> > machine seems dead (eg I can't reboot using ctl-alt-del).
> >
> > The only change in hardware has been the installation of a different
> > disk drive. I tried upgrading the BIOS, and that didn't do anything.
> >
> > What could this be?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> I could try replacing the PS. It's probably not worth replacing the
> motherboard ... OTOH, isn't it weird that if it's either of these two
> things, that only video would be affected? And it turns out that I
> can run in text mode just fine. I can boot off a knoppix CD and run
> in text mode ok. Weird....
>
> "AR" <news@no.theconspiracytheory.spam.com.here> wrote in message
> > a) power supply
> > b) blown capacitors on the mainboard
> >
> > "rlyacht" <robt@aya.yale.edu> wrote in message
> > > I have an sv24 which has worked fine for a few years, dual-booting
> > > win2k and linux. I stopped using it for a while, and removed the disk
> > > drive to re-used it. Now I'm trying to use it again, and I did a fresh
> > > install of XP. What I find is that the install works fine, but when
> > > it starts up, almost as soon I do anything, the screen blanks, and the
> > > machine seems dead (eg I can't reboot using ctl-alt-del).
> > >
> > > The only change in hardware has been the installation of a different
> > > disk drive. I tried upgrading the BIOS, and that didn't do anything.
> > >
> > > What could this be?

Try loading a different OS such as Win98, DOS, or Linux and see if it
continues. Do all the fans and such still spin? My SV24 had a fan go out
in the PS and it ran quiet for a week or so before the PS fried. Also try
disabling the onboard Video and insert a PCI card, preferably one that
doesn't use a lot of power and see if it continues.

Did you load the latest VIA drivers?

Tom

"Tom" <geoman39@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message news:<10a9jq88gkk8414@corp.supernews.com>...
> "rlyacht" <robt@aya.yale.edu> wrote in message
> > I could try replacing the PS. It's probably not worth replacing the
> > motherboard ... OTOH, isn't it weird that if it's either of these two
> > things, that only video would be affected? And it turns out that I
> > can run in text mode just fine. I can boot off a knoppix CD and run
> > in text mode ok. Weird....
> >
> > "AR" <news@no.theconspiracytheory.spam.com.here> wrote in message
> > > a) power supply
> > > b) blown capacitors on the mainboard
> > >
> > > "rlyacht" <robt@aya.yale.edu> wrote in message

> Try loading a different OS such as Win98, DOS, or Linux and see if it
> continues. Do all the fans and such still spin? My SV24 had a fan go out
> in the PS and it ran quiet for a week or so before the PS fried. Also try
> disabling the onboard Video and insert a PCI card, preferably one that
> doesn't use a lot of power and see if it continues.

I had the problem with win98 and linux too. I'll try to borrow a PCI
card; unfortunately I don't have one in my spart parts closet.

> Did you load the latest VIA drivers?

Yes, and I also flashed my BIOS!