SVCD and Interlace

Hi, another newbie question...
So I`ve purchased a Pinnacle Rave card and are trying to convert VHS
Camcorder footage to SVCD via some editing. My question is do I
interlace or not? My first attempt to capture at (PAL) 480x576 at 25
fps in VirtualDub with Huffyuv compression resulted in a horizontal
comb effect (presumably the interlacing). I keep on reading that SVCD
uses MPEG2 and supports interlacing. I also read that Interlacing
SHOULD be used where the output is a TV and SHOULD_NOT be used when
the output is a PC. What if The final product may be played on both a
domestic DVD player / TV and a PC? Should I just ignore the interlace
pattern during editing in the knowledge they will go away when viewed
on a TV? Or will using the right SVCD play-back software on the PC let
me view an interlaced SVCD without giving me a headache? Or is the
only solution to make a second de-interlaced version just for a PC?

Cheers,

Ed.

On 24 Jun 2004 08:00:52 -0700, ed@edweb.org.uk (Ed Whittaker) wrote:

>My question is do I interlace or not?

Keep it interlacd. It will look better on a TV. The software you use for
playback on a PC should deinterlace during playback, so that's fine too.

You have to make sure the field order is correct when converting to
MPEG-2. Analog capture cards are usually upper field first. If you
encode with TMPGEnc use the Project Wizard, it will automatically
determine the field order for you.

erratic <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message news:<B7CCc.164939$1z6.8447034@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
> Keep it interlacd. It will look better on a TV. The software you use for
> playback on a PC should deinterlace during playback, so that's fine too.
>
> You have to make sure the field order is correct when converting to
> MPEG-2. Analog capture cards are usually upper field first. If you
> encode with TMPGEnc use the Project Wizard, it will automatically
> determine the field order for you.

Cheers, been trying out VideoLAN for playing back Tmpgenc Mpeg2`s and
quite impressed by the de-interlacing modes. In fact i`m quite
suprised how far my little old Celeron 700Mhz is getting me with video
work.

Ed.

> Hi, another newbie question...
> So I`ve purchased a Pinnacle Rave card and are trying to convert VHS
> Camcorder footage to SVCD via some editing. My question is do I
> interlace or not? My first attempt to capture at (PAL) 480x576 at 25
> fps in VirtualDub with Huffyuv compression resulted in a horizontal
> comb effect (presumably the interlacing). I keep on reading that SVCD
> uses MPEG2 and supports interlacing. I also read that Interlacing
> SHOULD be used where the output is a TV and SHOULD_NOT be used when
> the output is a PC. What if The final product may be played on both a
> domestic DVD player / TV and a PC? Should I just ignore the interlace
> pattern during editing in the knowledge they will go away when viewed
> on a TV? Or will using the right SVCD play-back software on the PC let
> me view an interlaced SVCD without giving me a headache? Or is the
> only solution to make a second de-interlaced version just for a PC?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ed.

You should NEVER deinterlace SVCD. Keep it interlaced, or when appropriate,
IVTC to 23.976 fps and enable 3:2 pulldown.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:32:50 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur>
wrote:

>IVTC to 23.976 fps and enable 3:2 pulldown.

Yes, but that's for NTSC only. Not applicable to PAL.

> >IVTC to 23.976 fps and enable 3:2 pulldown.
>
> Yes, but that's for NTSC only. Not applicable to PAL.

Correct, which is why I said "when appropriate", but I guess it was slightly
off topic given that he was a PAL kind of guy, although you can still IVTC
to remove the interlaced combing and encode it as progressive PAL, which
some people say is slightly more efficient than interlace.